RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disappointed in duplication

MNSearcher

Last week I returned home from a vacation to find one of my whs drives had failed. I only have folder duplication turn on for photos. So I figured i was safe. I back up my photos/videos backed up externally as well. Well with the failed drive whs is not able to find some of the recent photos. So I guess the duplication was all on the same drive. I had 1 tb, 1 tb, and a 1.5 tb drove installed. One o the 1 tb failed.

Luckily I was able to put the drive in the freezer for an hour and retrieve the last couple of weeks of photos that had not been externally backed up yet.

My issue is what good is the folder duplication on v1 if or isn't copying the files to another drive???

So at this point I'm looking at upgrading to 2011 and setting up a program to duplicate photos. Looking for some insight into this duplicationless issue!

Duplication is explicitly set for a separate physical drive. Depending on how much space you have available it could have been your system drive on the separate (data) partition; did you check there as well?

I guess I will need to check. I thought, and that could be the issue, That with the bad drive removed, that the photos would still just show in the shared folders. I'll do some additional searching

Nonetheless I always have an external back up. I love WHS, I love the auto backups, restore etc. I've only had to do a restore once, and that was a great experience

You were right!!! I quickly looked around and found the files on the System drive C:\fs\12\DE\shares\Photos\2011\Summer 11'\

This is this first time I've had an issue with a drive on WHS. I guess I thought they would magically still appear, and that I wouldn't need to go and search for them. Is this normal behavior?

I was under the impression that I could pop a drive out and all the shared/duplicated data would still appear just fine. Am I wrong with that thinking? Or what that the idea behind it, but it just doesn't work that way?

Okay one last thing.... Only 190 gb of photos/videos are on the directory located above, that is out of 330 gb. But the missing photos were there and can be viewed. So I guess the mystery of how this duplication works is still lost with me :(

You were right!!! I quickly looked around and found the files on the System drive C:\fs\12\DE\shares\Photos\2011\Summer 11'\

This is this first time I've had an issue with a drive on WHS. I guess I thought they would magically still appear, and that I wouldn't need to go and search for them. Is this normal behavior?

I was under the impression that I could pop a drive out and all the shared/duplicated data would still appear just fine. Am I wrong with that thinking? Or what that the idea behind it, but it just doesn't work that way?

Okay one last thing.... Only 190 gb of photos/videos are on the directory located above, that is out of 330 gb. But the missing photos were there and can be viewed. So I guess the mystery of how this duplication works is still lost with me :(

I realize the drive was indicated as failed, but did you try to remove the drive from the pool before physically removing it from the computer?

Well the failed drive did not show at all on the computer, except in the WHS Console/server storage. In there it just shows as missing. So I haven't removed it from the drive pool yet. Maybe that is the issue? Since the console just sees it as missing, it hasn't done anything additional to the data?

I haven't clicked REMOVE yet, in hopes of saving the drive. But I guess at this point, there is no hope for that. I'll give that a try now

Well the failed drive did not show at all on the computer, except in the WHS Console/server storage. In there it just shows as missing. So I haven't removed it from the drive pool yet. Maybe that is the issue? Since the console just sees it as missing, it hasn't done anything additional to the data?

I haven't clicked REMOVE yet, in hopes of saving the drive. But I guess at this point, there is no hope for that. I'll give that a try now

Are you saying you yanked the drive, rescued the photos, then put the drive back in? If so, I hope you didn't power up the WHS at any time while the drive was yanked. I have no idea what that would do to WHS. Maybe someone else does.

Basically this is the timeline.

1) Went on vacation

2) Uploaded some vacation photos to it from hotel for safe keeping (kept originals on Laptop just in case)

3) Next day WHS was not responding on my network anymore, from the web nor from the local network (remote desktop)

4) Returned home to find the WHS off, turned it back on

5) Found that it said one of the 1tb drives was MISSING and that 1/2 of the thumbnails would not work nor display photo

Basically I was only concerned with the Month of JUNE since I had not externally backed those photos up yet

6) Tried swapping sata cables, ports on the mb with no luck. Drive was still missing (rebooted between attempts)

7) Turned off WHS, Unplugged drive let it cool. Then put it back in and restarted WHS and was able to retrieve about 1/2 of the missing photos (thumbnails now appeared), then drive went dead again.

8) Turned off WHS, removed drive again, tossed it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. An hour later I plugged it back in and was able to retrieve the rest of the missing photos, and grab some other files that were not DUPLICATED. About 15 minutes the drive was MISSING again.

9) I have physically removed the drive now from the WHS and restarted the WHS. Drive is missing of course and some of the photos have missing thumbnails and cannot be viewed (located on missing drive).

So maybe the missing photos don't reappear until I remove the MISSING drive from the Drive pool in WHS? Is that a possible theory here?

Edited by MNSearcher

Basically this is the timeline.

1) Went on vacation

2) Uploaded some vacation photos to it from hotel for safe keeping (kept originals on Laptop just in case)

3) Next day WHS was not responding on my network anymore, from the web nor from the local network (remote desktop)

4) Returned home to find the WHS off, turned it back on

5) Found that it said one of the 1tb drives was MISSING and that 1/2 of the thumbnails would not work nor display photo

Basically I was only concerned with the Month of JUNE since I had not externally backed those photos up yet

6) Tried swapping sata cables, ports on the mb with no luck. Drive was still missing (rebooted between attempts)

7) Turned off WHS, Unplugged drive let it cool. Then put it back in and restarted WHS and was able to retrieve about 1/2 of the missing photos (thumbnails now appeared), then drive went dead again.

8) Turned off WHS, removed drive again, tossed it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. An hour later I plugged it back in and was able to retrieve the rest of the missing photos, and grab some other files that were not DUPLICATED. About 15 minutes the drive was MISSING again.

9) I have physically removed the drive now from the WHS and restarted the WHS. Drive is missing of course and some of the photos have missing thumbnails and cannot be viewed (located on missing drive).

So maybe the missing photos don't reappear until I remove the MISSING drive from the Drive pool in WHS? Is that a possible theory here?

To be honest this is getting beyond my experience with WHS. I think the way you got the photos was probably the best, given that the drive is acting so flaky.

One thing I'm wondering is what happens if you put a new drive in to replace the 'missing' one. Perhaps at that point WHS will rebuild the drive pool and make everything the way it was before the failure. I'm thinking it would be like a RAID5 array — if a drive fails you don't try to recover files from the other drives, you replace the faulty drive and let the controller rebuild the array. I'm suspicious that those files you found on C: would be restored to the replacement drive after it was added to the pool and DEmigrator did its thing. Perhaps in that case you're not supposed to Remove the drive from the pool; you simply replace it with a good one, just as you don't remove a drive from a RAID5 array when it fails, you just replace it.

Edited by ikon