RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

Using HDHomerun with Time Warner Cable

PCEddie

I am thinking of purchasing Elgato HDHomerun and use it with Time Warner cable in North Carolina. Will the HDhomerun identify cable channels 1 - 100 (basic cable)? How was the installation on a home network? I am planning to install the HDhomerun on a gigabit network and have two computers with Windows 7 Pro attach to the HDhomerun to watch cable tv.

Thanks for your feedback.

axoid

Will the HDhomerun identify cable channels 1 - 100 (basic cable)?

Unfortunately no. The HDHomerun will only pick up Clear QAM channels on cable. On Time Warner in Ohio that is only the local over the air HD channels that are being provided through cable. None of the standard def analog channels will be picked up. I have my HDHomerun running off an antenna since the picture quality is a little higher than the QAM feed over cable. The only way to get the 1-100 analog channels is to get a NTSC analog tuner. The HDHomerun is only ATSC and QAM compatible.

As for network, I've run the device on an 100 megabit network without any problems, and I haven't had any problems with the gigabit network. The only time that I have had problems it sending it over wireless or a powerline network connection.

Bill

timekills

I've run my HDHR on TW Cable in El Paso, and it picks up a significant number of channels. Only problem is many of the channels are in ##.#### (i.e. four decimal places) format - which Windows Media Center 7 can't read correctly. I've been working with SiliconDust since May on this, and their assertion is TWC is not following the approved format, but WMC7 doesn't help either. The HDHR viewer sees the channels fine; it's just WMC7 that can't read them.

If you go here: SiliconDust channels supported it will show you which channels they've found are available via ClearQAM over your local cable provider. I found it to be accurate.

PCEddie

Followup to Elgato HDHomerun. I ended up sending it back to Amazon. In order to get it to work, I would need to purchase the HD HomeRun Prime and purchase a cable card from Charlotte NC Time Warner. If I decide to purchase the HD HOmeRun Prime, I will update this post.

rrcomlogin
Posted (edited)

Hi

HDHomeRun Prime that you are referring to, you will need a tuning adapter for the cable card. TWC has SDV channels. 

Although I have an HDHomeRun Prime, I haven't actually used it with SATV. So, I can't really say how it works with SATV. I have used the older version of HDHomeRun Extend and that works fine with SATV. I haven't seen the deinterlacing issues that other users have reported with 3.2 updates. I have no idea how the DVR feature performs.

There is no 4K content available on TWC.

twc email logintime warner cable email login |

time warner email login
Edited by rrcomlogin

nrf

I had two hdhr primes with cablecards and tuning adapters for twc in ohio. I've since ditched the whole heat generating mess and use a direct-tv dvr that satisfies my needs without having to fuss with wmc and its listing issues. In my area they basically dumped most of the clear-qam and gave out 'digital converter' boxes instead.