RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 145, What do you think ?

diehard

This show started out as a news cast and ended up with a discussion on Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Home Server with Drive Extender, NAS boxes, and Drive Extender replacements. Have the add-in authors missed the boat? What is riskier RAID or drive extender type add-ins? What is keeping you on Windows Home Server in the first place? Great discussion, weather outages, and more. Enjoy episode 145.

What do you think of this weeks podcast ?

Had my crystal ball revealed my experience with 2011, I would not have gone down that road. I would have simply replace my dying V1 drive and done a server restore to V1. Now that I'm up and running on 2011, I'm not gonna go through the effort of changing it back to V1. Why I stayed with WHS instead of exploring NAS options is simple, it's what I know. I used a Buffalo Linkstation NAS for years and it was too complicated for me, WHS was super simple in comparison. Now 2011, well that's a different story but, like I said, it's setup and running fine so I will leave well enough alone. If I was a V1 user and was considering V2, I would say stick with V1 unless there is a specific need that V2 provides.

I will stay with a Microsoft Product, whether it is WHS or 7 or even some other unknown to me product is because I like that I can run WebcamXP, Subsonic and PS3MS on it. I can't do that with my Linkstation, Drobo or so forth. Well not that I know of.

Great show guys and sorry I missed it. I do not believe anyone should go back to V1 however whether or not you upgrade from V1 is another story. Realistically, if all you are doing is backing up and centralized storage there really is no reason to upgrade as it will not gain you much. If you are a media buff, that is another story. V2 is night and day better than V1 in terms of performance for streaming as well as remote access. It is also easier and safer to install third party software on. In my experience, V1 specific add ins where not very stable and I had numerous issues with them. Since V2 has no drive extender, third party stuff seems to just work better. In the end all that matters is what you need and what you are comfortable with and you should make the decision based on needs not that it is just newer.

Great show as always even with the weather issues going on around Dave. But, as always, I have comments.

RAID:

When I first started at my current company RAID was only used for data. That quickly changed when we lost an OS drive on a file server. Isn't it strange how backups are never a concern until something like that happens? We have since always used hardware raid. From the simple web server all the way up to our XP SAN storage. Admittedly we haven't had too many problems over the years and we have software that gives us warnings on predictive hard drive failures. Sometimes though, you just can't get to it fast enough and poof, you've lost a drive. Luckily for us we have 98% hot swap hard drives, so that's not really a big issue. Since we have great support at a premium price, raid controller cards are quickly replaced so that we're up and running. Herein lies the issue with me. RAID at home simply is not for everyone. Sure, I understand the difference between the more popular RAID levels, I'm just not sure the non-enthusiast could handle (or afford) RAID 10, or even 2, 3, 4 or 6. Because now you're talking big bucks for a decent card and more drives than most would be using. I mean really, would my mom need a RAID 10 setup for her 15 pictures that she took last week on her trip to Texas? Probably not. Even 4 or 5 years ago, I was having difficulty justifying a RAID controller at home and had to rely on what comes on a motherboard. Along came out V1 of WHS, and the rest is history. The biggest problem that I see with having hardware raid at home is to find a replacement should the card die. Then again, if you had raid on the motherboard and that controller died, you'd be in the same boat. I guess you're never really safe from data corruption/loss/hardware failures and THAT is why you have backups! How many of us have corrected others that mistakenly believe RAID is a good backup?

I would love to build a basic V2 system, but it would need to be basic as I wouldn't be doing anything other than media streaming. (V1 works fine for all of my needs in regards to streaming, storage, and backups). But PCDOC said V2 is better for streaming as well as remote access. My children will be headed out of the nest soon and I think it would be fantastic to stream media to them as opposed to copying over 1TB of information. Plus, I'd have to maintain their copies as well and what if they lose the external drive or it was stolen? Anyway, more on that later.

@PCDOC, I've said it before, I have system envy and I'm not ashamed to admit it. cool.gif

I heard references on this podcast and also on the BYOB podcast that several of the items that were being discussed were based on posts made on Google+. I was wondering how you're sharing these posts? Are you only sharing them to your circles? If that's the case, then it seems that you're eliminating people from viewing your content.

I don't know if my approach is correct, but here's how I handle it.

Incoming Traffic - Separating people into circles by general topic

I have people grouped into what information they provide to me. For example, since G+ mainly has tech people, I dump most of them into the FOLLOWING circle. Everyone I've met from here goto a WHS circle, and a few actors or other famous people I'll put into a TV/MOVIE circle. This allows me to view my stream based on the information I'm looking for. If I want to view WHS specific information, I'll view that stream.

Outgoing Traffic - Separating posts I make by content

For outgoing traffic, I determine the sensitivity of the subject matter. Most of my posts are public. If someone is following me, then they'll get the information. It's their choice. If I post too much crap publicly, they can always un-circle me. I usually don't get a lot of spam comments, and those I do get, I can just ignore (I've been online for a while, and I have a thick skin. I understand some people go online just to flame. I can ignore them.) For sensitive items, I restrict those to the appropiate circle. For example, pictures of the family goto the Family circle. Discussions about "personal" stuff goto the Friend circle (personal meaning you'll have to actually know me to know what I'm talking about)

After Google+ was mentioned in both shows, I went back and looked for the posts, and I was kinda disappointed that I didn't see much. I was hoping that I could see more that was going on, but it appears that the posts were not "shared" with me (I was not included in the circle the post was published to).

I'm hoping to see more posts in G+ in the future. And, No, I'm not asking you to follow me or to put me in your circle.

Thanks AllToga, we just started using g+ over the past 2-3 weeks and I for one have been accepting requests from WHS users to my circles, it's all new to me over there. Dave,Jim and myself will have to discuss how we can include content there and here so that listeners and forum members are not excluded, The forums is the main contact and information portal. We do sometimes tweet@dieharder stuff and some forum members don't use Twitter so we have to be conscious of that to, thanks for the reminder.

Any suggestions ?

For me, I'm using G+ like I'm using Twitter. I decide who I'm going to follow. I don't have to ask to be their friend, or have them put me in their circle. That way, if they post too much or content I don't like, I can stop following them, or uncircle them. Also, since you guys are semi-public figures, you don't have to take on the burden of adding everyone that adds you to your circle. Your circles can stay clean with people you care about.

A good example of this on G+ is Robert Scoble. He post ALOT of stuff, and shares it all with public. Some people are so overwhelmed by his posts that they put him into a circle all by himself, just to still have access to his information, but to filter it out.

The key to G+ is to post stuff that's shared with PUBLIC. Anytime you share with a specific group, you're limiting who can actually see that information (which is good when appropriate. As Steve Gibson said, "I don't want to know about your navel lint", you can share that information with your circles.

I also agree with you that the Forums are a great place to view content and to talk about stuff. As you have said in the past, the forum is a great community with a lot of knowledge and everyone is respectful of each other. The problem with the forum is that it's another destination that I'd have to check. I understand that the forums has an RSS feed, but I'm also moving away from RSS readers. Right now I'm mainly using twitter and G+. Maybe you could try out G+ in conjunction with the forums and see which provides better / different information. I'm not saying to use G+ as a "teaser" board to get people to goto the forums, but more as a way to get the casual user.

The casual user probably will not goto the forums unless they have a question or want to participate (I believe I'm a more than casual user. I have a WHS. I've listened to live podcasts. I've participated in the forums, but I've been away because I don't have a question right now).

Also, using G+ would be a way to introduce your content to a wider audience. For example, I might not be able to convince a friend to dig into the forums, but he might circle you and see what you have to offer. That might lead him to become a more involved user and to goto the HSS site or forums. That would only work if you posted stuff he can see (public).

Maybe the HSS forums need an app (for android of course)

Thanks AllToga, we just started using g+ over the past 2-3 weeks and I for one have been accepting requests from WHS users to my circles, it's all new to me over there. Dave,Jim and myself will have to discuss how we can include content there and here so that listeners and forum members are not excluded, The forums is the main contact and information portal. We do sometimes tweet@dieharder stuff and some forum members don't use Twitter so we have to be conscious of that to, thanks for the reminder.

Any suggestions ?

Please don't add g+ to the communication method. It is bad enough that twitter is used because a lot of us do not use twitter. Now, I don't mind if you use other methods as long as this site is always the source and the other methods (fb, g+, twitter, etc) are only copies of what is already on here.

Please don't add g+ to the communication method. It is bad enough that twitter is used because a lot of us do not use twitter. Now, I don't mind if you use other methods as long as this site is always the source and the other methods (fb, g+, twitter, etc) are only copies of what is already on here.

I kinda agree with you on this one. I'm not a google+ user. In fact, I don't have any google accounts, for anything. I don't use google search very much, I don't use google docs at all, or gmail. To be honest, while I believe the company is OK at the moment, I also believe their fortunes will turn one day and they will scramble to keep revenues up, and that will lead them to abandon the 'do no evil' mantra. I'm old enough now to have seen this kind of thing a number of times over the years, so I'm extra cautious.

I couldn't agree more. Between my work email, personal email, twitter, facebook and texting, I don't think I could handle any more social interactions right now. Just my few pennies to consider.