RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I stay or should I go?

PINKTULIP

Well following the most recent podcast, when Dave posed the question whether to switch to 2011 or not, it really got me thinking!

In the UK I can now get 2011 for approx £40 thats only $65, so it seems like a good time right?

Approx 6 months ago i completely rebuilt my version 1 on new hardware ensuring it was based on a 64BIT System - base setup is Core i3 with 4Gb ram and 6TB storage, i did this because it was my intention to move to 'Vail' once it was in final release.

Now they have removed DE, I am not so sure.

I would like some input with regard to what users see as the main advantages of 2011? I have listed below the ones I see and whether they are important to me or not.

64Bit - obvious improvement in speed which my system will take advantage of

Silverlight streaming - not important to me as i dont stream, at least not outside of my home network

I cannot really think of anything else 2011 will give me that my V1 box doesn't or am i missing something really fundamental

If i do switch I will need to adopt one of the 3rd party DE replacements as I dont really want to go down the RAID route.

So my question is simply this, Is it really worth me switching, as my V1 box works great?

Look forward to the replies.

I've had my doubts about WHS 2011 for a long while, but I finally made the switch. The key thing that made me jump (apart from a large dose of wanting to have the latest toy) was the fact that I could at last take server backups.

Of course, there is still plenty that I dislike about the rough edges of WHS 2011, see here, here and here, but on the whole, I can live with it.

I still don't think it's a good enough design for its putative target audience (the Home User). I still think it's a step backwards from WHS v1 in that respect. However, a techie user will take that in his or her stride.

I hear your pain. As a WHS MVP I'm disappointed with WHS2011 as a replacement for the home user. Removing DE was a big let down, I was expecting a better solution that v1 not worse. :(

The web interface is pretty but everyone asked for Media Center intergration, I wanted Xbox 360 intergration, that didn't happen. WHS2011 is NOT as friendly and v1. :(

Yes, backups are quicker than v1, wow, something did get better after 3 years.

I want this to work, but there sure is a lot of post-RTM beta testing, debugging. I like the server backup and I think PC restores are much easier and faster. The DE thing? Kind of a big letdown. The remote access quirks, kind of a royal pain. Is the interface quicker? Yes.

All that said, my v1 box didn't stop working the day 2011 came out. When I fire it up after wresting with 2011 for a couple days, it's a relief to have something that works predictably.

Basically, I'm with others who think that MS didn't put a lot of love into this 'home' server product. The only home users who can deal with this are the family tech guys and gals. All else would be daunted. Too bad. I was hoping for a larger user base than v1. Instead, it got smaller. Much smaller. But I'll continue wresting with it in hopes that I can arrive at a stable and easy to use WHS box. Pretty sure the swear jar will be filled long before then. :)

for me the biggest benefit is bare metal backups of the system drive. I will probably not use the built-in backup though; most likely I will use CloneZilla Live to make an image of the system drive. That way, I can restore it anytime I like in 5 - 10 min tops using CZ Live on a bootable USB key. It simply wasn't possible to make use of system drive backups with WHSv1 because of the tombstone files on the C: drive, a major PITA.That said, the rest of 2011 isn't anything to write home about.

This is really a tough question as it is based on what you are using your server for. The key things that made me want to switch was the removal of DE. It is not that I do not like the concepts of DE, but rather I did not like the implementation and limitations. We all keep complaining about the 2T limit which certainly is crude, but we did not have a server backup at all in V1 and the backup program was really a sync program. The reality is stability. V2, partly due to the removal of DE is just more stable and runs faster. It allows you to to install virtually any application you want on your server and have it work, something we could not do with V1. There are several things I do not like about V2 but as an aggregate, you gain more than you loose and in my opinion makes it worthwhile to switch if you are changing or upgrading hardware in your server. If you are not changing hardware, your V1 works great, and you are happy with it, then leave it and keep enjoying it.

timekills

This is really a tough question as it is based on what you are using your server for. The key things that made me want to switch was the removal of DE. It is not that I do not like the concepts of DE, but rather I did not like the implementation and limitations. We all keep complaining about the 2T limit which certainly is crude, but we did not have a server backup at all in V1 and the backup program was really a sync program. The reality is stability. V2, partly due to the removal of DE is just more stable and runs faster. It allows you to to install virtually any application you want on your server and have it work, something we could not do with V1. There are several things I do not like about V2 but as an aggregate, you gain more than you loose and in my opinion makes it worthwhile to switch if you are changing or upgrading hardware in your server. If you are not changing hardware, your V1 works great, and you are happy with it, then leave it and keep enjoying it.

QFT. Not that it needs it but after running V1 for about two years and V2 now for about 6 months, I'll say the flow chart is something like:

1) Do I want to use a bunch of old drives. If yes go to WHS v1. If no, go to #2

2) Do I need to have more then 2TB of data for ALL my data combined? If no, go to 4. If yes go to #3

3) Am I happy with each shared folder being 2TB max? If yes go to #4. If no, go to #5

4) Will I be using hardware that is 64bit compatible; or do I intend to use > 4GB of RAM. If yes, use WHS 2011. If no, use WHS v1.

5) Am I comfortable using RAID or an aftermarket DE simulator? If yes go to WHS 2011, if no, go to WHS v1.

:)

The loss of DE was big loss for the casual home user whom isn't going to try RAID. I had planned all along with building a new box with all new hardware versus piecing old parts together from prior hardware as was my WHS V1. After reading the forums here I decided to use the RocketRaid card for my videos. To me this was a great solution...if I was to expect any of my friends to make a solution like this it wouldn't happen. Then again...without my video rips I wouldn't have needed the Raid.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes, backups are quicker than v1, wow, something did get better after 3 years.

That made me laugh.

I want this to work, but there sure is a lot of post-RTM beta testing, debugging.

There are so many issues right now that I am not jumping until SP1 has been proven to be bug free. Until then, I think I will stay on V1 or find another solution. Maybe I should check out drobo?