RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL

dvn

Just installed my new (and 1st) RAID card - HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL - and I'm having problems. I'm trying to figure out whether it's the card or the drives - (2) Samsung F4 HD204UI and (1) Seagate ST31500341AS. The drives are only attached to the card, RAID'd.

I'm aware there's a firmware bug (NCQ problem under certain conditions?) with these Samsung drives. But the Seagate also failed, so I don't know what to think.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HighPoint%20-%20problems%202.PNG

Ok. I removed the Seagate from the RAID card. Same thing as above still happening - one continuous high-pitch squeal.

You can turn off the squeal in the settings but it looks like you have a bad card. Take "all" the seagates off., try a different slot. IF that does not work, take all the drives off completely. Also make sure the 8087 connectors are well seated as they can be misleading. Although it should, the mixing of unlike drives it not a good plan for a problem free setup. If you do mix drives, they should be in the same array drives 1-5 samsungs, 6-8 seagates. You have them all mixed and matched.

You may be right about that; the RAID card could be bad. For what it's worth, when I first got the card, I installed it in my desktop PC and attached a single drive, a Crucial C300 SATA III SSD. There were no errors or alarms. I then added a Mushkin SATA II SSD and a 4-yr old WD6401AALS HDD - still no errors or alarms.

Back on the WHS box, the alarm seems to go off when there is disk activity / file transfer activity. I can boot up and it seems to want to remain quiet until there is some activity. When I do start moving large amounts of files between disks, the alarm goes off after a few minutes or so.

I've read that system RAM was a problem in one case, so I'll swap the ADATA with a couple of spare Mushkin sticks.

Another puzzling thing - I thought the card supported hot-plugging. I hot-plugged a Seagate and while it appeared in the RAID software, it did not show up in Windows Explorer nor Disk Management. The drive did show up after a reboot. AHCI is enabled, of course.

You can turn off the squeal in the settings but it looks like you have a bad card.

If I turn off the audible alarm, how would I know there's a problem?

Take "all" the seagates off.

Did that but the problem still occurred.

try a different slot.

Unfortunately, there's only 1 PCI-E slot on this mobo, a mini-ITX Intel.

IF that does not work, take all the drives off completely.

I did that, and the card remained silent throughout the night.

Also make sure the 8087 connectors are well seated as they can be misleading.

Double-checked and verified. I checked out the connector before I ever installed the card to make sure I knew what it how it worked.

Although it should, the mixing of unlike drives it not a good plan for a problem free setup.

OK, but even if the attached drives are not RAID'd? Up to this point, I have yet to create a RAID array. Those drives were simply connected to the card.

If you do mix drives, they should be in the same array drives 1-5 samsungs, 6-8 seagates.

Ok.

You have them all mixed and matched.

Well, as I said in the previous post, I had removed the Seagate but the alarm still went off.

Again, thanks for any and all input on this. I'll take anything I can get as this is all fairly new to me. I can listen to people talk about RAID 'this and that' and sort of get it, but until I actually started using a card, it was just interesting talk. I want to make this work because pretty much plan to follow the plan for WHS RAID config that pcdoc laid out in an earlier post.

The card is back in my desktop. I booted and hot-plugged the Seagate and it showed up as expected. Now I'm wondering if there's something about WHS and this card, or the Intel mobo and this card, or maybe my particular WHS installation is corrupt in some way that directly affects this card. Man, I hate these kinds of problems.

*Update: On my desktop, I was able to copy ~70GB of files to a connected drive (same Seagate HDD mentioned previously) without a problem.

Looking more like some hardware or software incompatibility with my WHS box.

*2nd update: I attached one of the Samsung HD204UIs mentioned above and copied some files to and from it, concurrently. No problems. So I think this points to the WHS box. I think I'll try a quick W7 install on the WHS box to see if the card works with that combination.

OK. All three drives that were 'failing' when connected to the RAID card in my WHS box are now working fine together w/ RAID card in my desktop PC. Again, they're not in any RAID array, they are only connected to the card.

I'm in the process of installing a fresh copy of W7 Pro 64-bit on the WHS box. I'll test the card again once that is up and running.

I can say it isn't an incompatibility with WHS v1 or 2011 as I've used it in both. Using 5 or 6 of the very same Samsung 2TB drives and got 500MB/sec reads and writes with them in RAID 5. I never updated the firmware on the drives; just have to take data from some SMART readers with a grain of salt.

Given the screenshot I'll assume you've had no problems in WHS with the software via IE? That would be the only significant difference between WHS's and Win7, but it appears you're not running IE in the (default) enhanced security mode.

Edited by timekills

Make sure that you are using the Server 2008 R2 driver for the controller (motherboard controller and card) or the Windows 7 driver should work also.

INSTALLING THR DRIVER FOR A FRESH WINDOWS 2008 INSTALLATION

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Boot from the Windows 2008 DVD.

2. When the screen "where do you want to install Windows" appears, click

"Load driver" and browse to the driver's location. The driver can be

installed from a floppy, USB flash disk, or CD/DVD.

3. Select the RocketRAID controller driver and click "Next".

4. The driver is now installed - you can now continue the Windows setup

procedure.

INSTALLING THE DRIVER FOR AN EXISTING WINDOWS 2008 SYSTEM

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Install the adapter and power on the system. After booting the system,

Windows should display a new hardware message, stating WIndows needs

to install driver software your PCI device".

2. Select "Locate and install driver software (recommended)."

3. Select "Don't Search Online."

4. Select "I don't have the disc, show me other options."

5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software.", and browse to the

location of the driver.

6. Windows should locate and install the driver. Once installed, press

"Close" to exit the Wizard. The adapter is now ready for use.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/usa_new/rr272x_download.htm

I can say it isn't an incompatibility with WHS v1 or 2011 as I've used it in both. Using 5 or 6 of the very same Samsung 2TB drives and got 500MB/sec reads and writes with them in RAID 5. I never updated the firmware on the drives; just have to take data from some SMART readers with a grain of salt.

Yes, I've been using the Samsung drives for a few months and never had a problem until I paired them with the RAID card in particular system. It wasn't difficult to update the drives so I did that, though it hasn't helped. As of now, I know the card works perfectly in my desktop system, drives and all. I have a list of things I'll run through tomorrow including BIOS updates for the Intel DH55TC mobo and RAID card, and a driver update for the RAID card. I expect to be able to work out whether it's a firmware/software problem or hardware.

For what it's worth, S.M.A.R.T. was not a factor in the decision to update the HD204UI firmware. That was done because of reports I came across in my research. It was something easily done that I could cross of the list of possibilities. It was interesting, weird actually, that there was a foul-up in the version numbering. Tomorrow, I will flash the drives once more, this time with the Japanese version which displays the correct version number.