RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 installation failure

rokonn

I have been using v1 for a few years now and have finally decided to upgrade to WHS 2011. I bought a new computer for that purpose and bought a copy of WHS 2011. When attempting to install it I encountered an error saying drivers were not available for the Ethernet controller, Network controller, PCI simple communications Controller, and SMB bus controller. I had saved the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" to a USB drive and had the USB drive inserted when trying to install 2011 for the 2nd time. Still with the same results. The folder I had saved was from a backup of the new machine to my v1 home server. I had made a backup of the new PC to my v1 server before attempting the install of 2011. I'm not sure where to turn now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're installing WHS2011, you need 64-bit drivers. If you don't have a CD with 64-bit drivers for the motherboard, you'll need to get them from the motherboard manufacturer. Vista or Windows 7 drivers will work.

I have seen that a couple of times and all I had to do was to put the MFG CD in the drive and let it detect it.

If you're installing WHS2011, you need 64-bit drivers. If you don't have a CD with 64-bit drivers for the motherboard, you'll need to get them from the motherboard manufacturer. Vista or Windows 7 drivers will work.

The PC that I had backed up to my v1 server is a 64-bit machine running WIN 7 so the drivers that were saved to the server should be 64 bit drivers, right? I had all of those drivers on a flash drive inserted while doing the install.

What else should I look for?

What MFG CD? This is a new PC and I have made the recovery disc set. I have tried loading each of the 3 discs to see if it would find drivers there. Any other suggestions?

I have seen that a couple of times and all I had to do was to put the MFG CD in the drive and let it detect it.

What MFG CD? This is a new PC and I have made the recovery disc set. I have tried loading each of the 3 discs to see if it would find drivers there. Any other suggestions?

The PC that I had backed up to my v1 server is a 64-bit machine running WIN 7 so the drivers that were saved to the server should be 64 bit drivers, right? I had all of those drivers on a flash drive inserted while doing the install.

What else should I look for?

The drivers *should* work, but for some reason they appear not to. The recovery disc drivers may be in compressed or executable format; i.e. they may be expected to be installed rather than recognized by the OS as drivers. Check the driver folders from the install CDs and see if they have .inf files in them. If the are .zip or .exe you may have to either uncompress them and then point the install to the uncompressed driver folder, or "run" them to install them.

If it is an executable you have to run, you may be able to extract the raw drivers by opening the .exe file in a program such as 7Zip or WinRAR. If not, and you can't download the driver files from the OEM (you should be able to...for Win7/Vist 64 bit) you'll have to try running them on a WIn7/Vista 64bit machine and copying them from the temp file. This is a VERY LAST resort I've only had to do on old hardware that was made for XP machines only and the manufacturer didn't support any more.

If you can run the driver files after you install WHS, you sometime have to install them using program compatibility settings, or look in the folder and run the setup.exe rather than the "asusSetup.exe" (for example) because the raw setup file is designed to work on multiple OS's while the OEM setup file may be designed to run only on Win7 or Vista etc.

If you can list what is in the driver folder both in your OS backup and your restore CDs for one of the hardware systems that you need (i.e. your NIC) we can probably help you with picking the right driver and how to install it. I'm confident we can find drivers for all your hardware. But you need to help us a bit by telling us what the hardware is.

For future reference, you might like to use this:

Double Driver

Run it on a system whose drivers you want to copy and save the results to a USB thumb drive to use when you're reinstalling the OS. Not only does it gather drivers for standard hardware like NICs and video card, but others like printer drivers.

One issue had was the MB manufacture didn't have 64 bit drivers. I needed to search the web for the correct drivers. One of the drivers was for the LAN connection.