RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SageTV

ohpleaseno

Nice job on the post. One question, how well does it deal with local content, specifically Blue Ray as compared to WHC. Thanks

I really liked seeing the SageTV post on HomeServerShow.com. Shortly after it appeared I dropped a note to Brent Evans who then pointed his readers to your posting.

I have been running SageTV on my HP EX485 MSS for a little while now. I have 1 HD200 Extender I use plus my desktop computer.

I am currently working on integrating one of my DirecTV HD receivers as a tuner for Sage. I have previously been using only a HD Homerun w/ OTA and serving ripped DVD for the kids.

One thing that may be helpful for people is what resources are really needed when running SageTV on a WHS.

Keep the info flowing and maybe you can get a few more of the dedicated WMC users to venture over to the dark side.

Chris

@pcdoc The HD-200 can play ripped blu-rays using the folder structure. I don't know if full menus are available, but it apparently will look for the main .m2ts file and play that as the main movie.

all kinds of file formats are supported on the HD-200 including .mkv up to 1080p. DTS is passed through, so you would need to have a receiver that is DTS capable or add an ac3 file to the .mkv in order for it to be played on a TV.

The HD-200 looks like a nice unit. Does your BD rips have chapter support in HD-200? I had taken a look at it before I got my popcorn unit as I believe they have the same processor in them (Sigma 8635). The one thing that was an issue for me is it did not seem to support lossless audio (Ture-HD and DTS-MA) which was an objective I had for my main HT as I wanted a box to support HDMI 1.3a and pass-through all audio tracks. After trying most destop boxes, I found my myself coming back to WMC. I really do like these type of boxes and they will only get better but in the end, it all boils down to what you are trying to achieve. I still use a desktop box in other rooms as they are easier to setup, cheaper than a HTPC (usually) and use less power and provide awesome results. Thanks for the input.

IIRC, that won't work with a WHS-installed tuner because I think it requires Media Center, which isn't available on WHS currently.

• 2 weeks later...

So you'd share the tuner from the WHS over the "network" to the virtual WHS so that you can record on the WHS? Heh, I like that thinking.