RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for a cheap 1bay NAS

Cino

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a CHEAP 1bay SATA-II NAS? I currently have a QNAP 109-II NAS which works great but is overkill for what I want to use it. This NAS needs to be able to hold 1 2-3TB SATA-II HD, have 10/100 NIC. And run some kind of SMB, CIFS service to share via MS Networking. Basically be able to get to it via a UNC. FTP service would be a nice but don’t think I would use it. Would be nice if the NAS can format the HD with NTFS but I can work with EXT3/4 partitions.

What I’m trying to do, is have a 2-3TB NAS located at my brother’s house so I can backup my documents and photos off-site. I installed a DD-WRT router there years ago and have configured OpenVPN tunnel between his Linksys router and my pfSense router. The OpenVPN tunnel works great. Since his download speed is half my upload; it should work nicely and not slow him down too much at 3 in the morning.

Worst case, I could get a new router for him that supports DD-WRT and has a USB port. Then just attach the HD via the USB port and share it thru DD-WRT.

I know there are services out there that I can use for off-site backup but I like having control :-)

Thanks,

Cino

Several solutions come to mind depending on how flexible you can be. If you have some old gear (desktop or laptop) available you could get a one or two bay docking station and attach to the parent device via USB 3.0 or eSATA for much less than the above link (~$40).

You could take the same old gear and run something like FreeNAS. Just a suggestion.

Several solutions come to mind depending on how flexible you can be. If you have some old gear (desktop or laptop) available you could get a one or two bay docking station and attach to the parent device via USB 3.0 or eSATA for much less than the above link (~$40).

You could take the same old gear and run something like FreeNAS. Just a suggestion.

Yeah. I use docks all the time and I love them. The only issue I have with toaster docks for this application is I find the drives tend to run a bit too warm (I've got a couple attached to my WHSv1 right now that are b****** at me about heat).. And, of course, it kinda leaves the drive exposed for a long time. It would be a bit cheaper though. So many choices, so little time ;)

Some of the newer ones will actually configure a RAID 0 - 1. Good for backups and removal to offsite storage.

@ikon Good solution but looking for something cheaper.. Under 100, shoot under 75 would be great...

@jmwills I thought of that but don't want something that's going to draw a lot of juice since it would be on all the time. I've had plans to build a FreeNAS box but never got around to it....You got me thinking tho, I have to check my junk yard at work... I may have some low power boxes that we used for kiosks years ago... That may to the trick with WOL.

Thinking about this more, it maybe cheaper if I replaced his router with one that DD-WRT supports and has a USB port.. Since my upload speed is 5m and his download speed is 10m; dont need fast transfer rates. I plan on syncing at my house first so it doesn't need to transfer 1000s of photos and docs...

One of your older junk junk machines running Windows 7 Thin PC might be a good fit.

Edit: If you can find one of the older MediaSmart or Acer v1 boxes and then load FreeNAS on it......just thinking out loud. That would solve your low power requirements.

I think I may try this box.. It would serve what I need... Not sure how long it would last but its cheap for under 40 bucks with a drive

http://www.geeks.com...-USB-PB&cpc=SCH

it only supports a 1TB drive but may work for now until I need more space backed up off site.

What's the name brand? Actually, I wonder if it could do iSCSI? That would be kinda cool. Freenas is totally worth it too.

What's the name brand? Actually, I wonder if it could do iSCSI? That would be kinda cool. Freenas is totally worth it too.

I dont know.. I did some searching and couldn't find it.. That has me scared but the price is so cheap that I have to try it..