RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migration from Ver 1 to 2011 seems slow? Question about best way to move data.

jmwills

Copy and Paste with this much data is a disaster waiting to happen, not to mention slow. Use something like RichCopy or RoboCopy. RichCopy is much more user friendly for a first timer.

Copy and Paste with this much data is a disaster waiting to happen, not to mention slow. Use something like RichCopy or RoboCopy. RichCopy is much more user friendly for a first timer.

I was gonna get to that after the network issue is resolved ;) ;) lol

I was gonna get to that after the network issue is resolved ;) ;) lol

I downloaded rich copy and will use that for the rest of my Data transfers. Thanks for the help.

I downloaded rich copy and will use that for the rest of my Data transfers. Thanks for the help.

Is the network issue resolved?

Is the network issue resolved?

No, still moving the music folder. Still 4 hours left. After if completes then I will eliminate the router and hook them up via a single Gigabit switch.

jmwills

One thing to remember about data transfers is that its not so much about the total amount of data as it is the number of files. 5TB of data composed of large files such as movies will not take as much time as music which will be much smaller mp3 files.

I'm copying about 800 gigs (mostly TV shows of around 350 megs each) as I type from my SBS server over to an EX470 at a rate of 31mm bytes per second using RichCopy. Gig NICS on both running thru a D-Link DGS-2208 switch,

I finally have completed my WHS 2011 build (Big thanks to PCDOC for all of his help!). I am now moving onto to DATA migration. I have both V1 and 2011 up and running on the network. I did a simple copy and paste of my Music folder from V1 to 2011, it is a little less than 300GB of data. It is saying 15 hours to complete the transfer? That seems a little crazy that is would take that long. I have a gigabit network with gigabit switches running through my D-Link Dir-655 router. Does anybody have any advice to speed up transfer speeds? I still have 7TB of movie files to move over plus my Pictures and home video as well. I do have RichCopy and beyond compare installed, but thought I would do a copy and paste to test it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Without a doubt you have a network or server problem. The first thing I would is copy files from another computer (not the HP) to your server to make that is working correctly. Fundamentally the hardware you have the (Dir-655) should be fine. I was able to get 90+ from it. If you cannot copy files from another computer to your server, then you have to look at your network. The next step is to disconnect all your computers except one and the sever using only your 2208 and see if that works. This will isolate it. You can also repeat this with just the DIR. If neither or these works, than it point the something in your server. IF you were able to copy from computer to server with no issues, than it is your HP.

You have to isolate were the problem is. Since the HP is much slower than what you built, you should expect to transfer north of 40 Megs/sec

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally had some time to troubleshoot this issue. I put both of my servers on a single D-LInk DGS-1008 switch and the problem went away. So, this tells me that I have a problem somewhere on the network. I got much faster results and was able to move all of my files over from my Version 1 box to my new WHS2011 box in less than a day, around 6TB of data. Thanks to everyone for your advice and help.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Sorry you have a problem on the network but good you found that the servers are working fine.

Not sure if this helps, but I just finished my own migration to WHS2011. I noticed a similar slowdown writing my files to the server, but I wasn't copying over the network (I used SATA drives to transfer the files). My whole server seemed slow until it finished cataloging all of my music...