RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migration from Ver 1 to 2011 seems slow? Question about best way to move data.

fredload

I finally have completed my WHS 2011 build (Big thanks to PCDOC for all of his help!). I am now moving onto to DATA migration. I have both V1 and 2011 up and running on the network. I did a simple copy and paste of my Music folder from V1 to 2011, it is a little less than 300GB of data. It is saying 15 hours to complete the transfer? That seems a little crazy that is would take that long. I have a gigabit network with gigabit switches running through my D-Link Dir-655 router. Does anybody have any advice to speed up transfer speeds? I still have 7TB of movie files to move over plus my Pictures and home video as well. I do have RichCopy and beyond compare installed, but thought I would do a copy and paste to test it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I finally have completed my WHS 2011 build (Big thanks to PCDOC for all of his help!). I am now moving onto to DATA migration. I have both V1 and 2011 up and running on the network. I did a simple copy and paste of my Music folder from V1 to 2011, it is a little less than 300GB of data. It is saying 15 hours to complete the transfer? That seems a little crazy that is would take that long. I have a gigabit network with gigabit switches running through my D-Link Dir-655 router. Does anybody have any advice to speed up transfer speeds? I still have 7TB of movie files to move over plus my Pictures and home video as well. I do have RichCopy and beyond compare installed, but thought I would do a copy and paste to test it out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If my math isn't faulty, that works out to 5 Mbit/sec, which is pretty slow. That would indicate something is very wrong on your network. Having said that, I'm not a fan of router-based switches; I much prefer real ones. Do you have 1 you could try?

Other than testing a real switch, my first step would be to set up Ixia Qcheck on both servers and do some simple throughput tests. The results would determine what I do next.

You should take a look at WHS2WHS http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/05/24/whs2whs-data-migration-tool-released-windows-home-server-2011-upgrades/

there's a free version and a paid version. It uses the application you mention.

Thanks John, I will check it out. But i'm not sure if that will fix my problem with speed? I will let you know.

An issue I had previously on my V1 was a bad drive. Copyig the data from one 2TB drive to another drive internally took just short of one week. Are you sure your drives are functioning properly?

If my math isn't faulty, that works out to 5 Mbit/sec, which is pretty slow. That would indicate something is very wrong on your network. Having said that, I'm not a fan of router-based switches; I much prefer real ones. Do you have 1 you could try?

Other than testing a real switch, my first step would be to set up Ixia Qcheck on both servers and do some simple throughput tests. The results would determine what I do next.

Hey Ikon, I am not sure what you mean by a router based switch? My router is the D-Link DIR-655, and most of my switches are D-Link Gigabit switches (Model DGS-1005G and 1008G). Can you explain the difference?

An issue I had previously on my V1 was a bad drive. Copyig the data from one 2TB drive to another drive internally took just short of one week. Are you sure your drives are functioning properly?

I ran stablebit scanner on my v1 box before I started any transfers and all drives were functioning properly. I also checked all my new drives in my 2011 build before I put them into the case. But I guess you can never be 100% sure. I will run a few diagnostics once my Music folder is done.

Hey Ikon, I am not sure what you mean by a router based switch? My router is the D-Link DIR-655, and most of my switches are D-Link Gigabit switches (Model DGS-1005G and 1008G). Can you explain the difference?

I missed the bit about you having switches (old eyes :) ). In any case, are the 2 servers you're copying to/from connected together via a real switch or are they connected via the router? If by the router I would for sure try connecting them to the same switch and then test with Qcheck.

BTW, the switches built into routers are kinda notorious for not being particularly efficient or speedy.

Hope that clarifies it.

I missed the bit about you having switches (old eyes :) ). In any case, are the 2 servers you're copying to/from connected together via a real switch or are they connected via the router? If by the router I would for sure try connecting them to the same switch and then test with Qcheck.

BTW, the switches built into routers are kinda notorious for not being particularly efficient or speedy.

Hope that clarifies it.

Thanks for explaining. The two servers are currently running through the router on the network. I will connect them with a switch and bypass the router next to see if that fixes the issue. It must be something on my network slowing things down. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for explaining. The two servers are currently running through the router on the network. I will connect them with a switch and bypass the router next to see if that fixes the issue. It must be something on my network slowing things down. Thanks for the advice.

I completely agree, it's something network related. It could still be a NIC in one/both of the servers, or a cable, or something else. But, this is a start to tracking it down. Hang in there; I'm pretty sure it can be traced.