RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Build List

fbwr75215

So am getting ready to pull the trigger on my parts for my WHS 2011 build. I picked up the software when newegg had the $10 off deal. So here is the parts I am going to get.

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX AMD Motherboard

Kingston HyperX blu 4GB DDR3-1333

PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM

With Mirco Centers deal right now this is going to cost a total of ~$300. They are running $80 off the CPU when you also buy a motherboard.

I will be reusing the 4 1TB drives I have in my v1 server. My plan is to use 3 Raid 1 pools. They will be setup as:

1. OS and User Data

2. Movies - this will be setup on the 2 2TB drives.

3. Server backup. I may split these two as I'm not sure if it makes since to have backup in a mirror also.

I am going to do mirrors as I do not really want to get to involved in Raid and I figure this is probably the safest way to go.

So am getting ready to pull the trigger on my parts for my WHS 2011 build. I picked up the software when newegg had the $10 off deal. So here is the parts I am going to get.

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX AMD Motherboard

Kingston HyperX blu 4GB DDR3-1333

PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM

With Mirco Centers deal right now this is going to cost a total of ~$300. They are running $80 off the CPU when you also buy a motherboard.

I will be reusing the 4 1TB drives I have in my v1 server. My plan is to use 3 Raid 1 pools. They will be setup as:

1. OS and User Data

2. Movies - this will be setup on the 2 2TB drives.

3. Server backup. I may split these two as I'm not sure if it makes since to have backup in a mirror also.

I am going to do mirrors as I do not really want to get to involved in Raid and I figure this is probably the safest way to go.

OK, but you do realize that mirroring is RAID-1 don't you?

OK, but you do realize that mirroring is RAID-1 don't you?

Yes I do know that RAID 1 = Mirroring. I am not positive yet but I hope that if I do this and one of the drives fail I will be able to take the other drive and read the contents in any system. I want the simplest raid that I can setup as I have never used it before.

Yes I do know that RAID 1 = Mirroring. I am not positive yet but I hope that if I do this and one of the drives fail I will be able to take the other drive and read the contents in any system. I want the simplest raid that I can setup as I have never used it before.

This, in fact, should work just fine. Even better, if you just replace the bad drive with a new good one, it should automatically rebuild the array for you.

You should only consider the mirror to be a time saving recovery measure. It is, in no way, a backup. You still need a real backup if the mirror is to contain anything valuable (but only you can determine that of course).

This, in fact, should work just fine. Even better, if you just replace the bad drive with a new good one, it should automatically rebuild the array for you.

You should only consider the mirror to be a time saving recovery measure. It is, in no way, a backup. You still need a real backup if the mirror is to contain anything valuable (but only you can determine that of course).

Yup I will be using Data Vault for the really important stuff. The raid is mostly for the movies so I dont loose those. I can get them back but it would not be fun.

Yup I will be using Data Vault for the really important stuff. The raid is mostly for the movies so I dont loose those. I can get them back but it would not be fun.

Sounds like you're well on your way then... good luck with it :)

I feel the pain of this as well. I have around 500 DVD rips and I would want to sit and do that again. Right now I have my video rips backed up on my original WHS V1.

I feel the pain of this as well. I have around 500 DVD rips and I would want to sit and do that again. Right now I have my video rips backed up on my original WHS V1.

I stated to use WHS v1 because of loosing my video drive in my main system. After that I told the wife that if I get this software and spend a little money on hard ware we would have not lost them. It also helped that she was going to be starting grad school and I told her that all of her work would be backed up in case her computer died.

Now I am trying to figure out how to sell her on this upgrade.

I stated to use WHS v1 because of loosing my video drive in my main system. After that I told the wife that if I get this software and spend a little money on hard ware we would have not lost them. It also helped that she was going to be starting grad school and I told her that all of her work would be backed up in case her computer died.

Now I am trying to figure out how to sell her on this upgrade.

I feel the pain. Thankfully my wife know that technology is my "mid-life" crisis. I told her I could go out and get a Harley like my neighbor.

I got the system built over the weekend and so far I really like it. It is taking some relearning on how to do things but nothing to hard. I did figure out that remote access not working was from my ISP blocking 443. Easy enough I just changed it to another port and it works fine. What was even better is I got another $40 off when I picked up the stuff at Mircocenter. Right now