RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Intel HD Graphics VS Intel HD 2000 Graphics

mar2k

I'm working on a bedroom build of a low power, low noise WMC 7 client machine that will likely run fanless (or nearly so) when all is said and done. I was looking at the i3-2105T but these new Pentiums like the G620/G620T/G530T are intriguing since they are Sandy Bridge Based. I was thinking they were Intel HD 2000 graphics like the i3 but seems they are plan vanilla Intel HD Graphics. I'm having a difficult time finding what if anything would be lost going with one of the Pentiums. What else is lost going from Intel HD 2000 to plain 'ol Intel HD?

This is strictly for Media Center DVR functionality on a 32" LCD in the bedroom with one of the new CableCard tuners. I don't need QuickSync etc. As long as I can do 720p I'm good.

They should be fine for standard HTPC use. Personally I would stick with your first choice. As you start adding things to your HTPC, you will appreciate the extra power. For the 60-80 bucks you save may not be worth it. Quicksync is not really a concern on an HTPC but the architecture of the chip is a bit different.