RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Memory question

krom

Hi Guys,

Newegg a deal on some CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL072811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL072811-_-EMC-072811-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20233143-L02A

They have it for $129 with this code: EMCKCHB26

Before I pull the trigger I figured I'd ask here if this is a good deal and if it's quality RAM. It will end up in Core i5 or i7 build probably in a z68 Gigabyte mobo. I have to start somewhere with this build and well, the RAM is on sale today. I know there's an affinity for G.Skill at Casa BYOB so I figured I better ask before I buy outside the BYOB sweetspot. ;-)

Thanks.

I have that memory based on a BYOB recommendation. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Seems like pcdoc thought it might have been causing some instability issues for him and has sense modified his tune on this memory.

Thanks. That was good enough for me. Placed the order.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of an awesome build.

Now where was my copy of Maximum PC's Dream Machine issue? :-)

The memory will be tied to the MOBO for compatibility. What does the board manufacturer have to say about it?

It should be fine. I did have one set go bad but that does not mean it is all bad. I also have some running fine. Good price.

Same question about this RAM on Newegg:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

$44.99 with promo code EMCKCHB22, ends 8/3

2nd question: Is there a perceptible performance boost between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600? I know benchmarks will say the 1600 is faster, but does anyone actually notice a real difference?

These are also good however I prefer the buy the 1600. There is a slight difference in performance "if" your board supports it. Memory speed is critical in overall performance but if you are running it in a home server it probably does not matter.

Same question about this RAM on Newegg:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

$44.99 with promo code EMCKCHB22, ends 8/3

2nd question: Is there a perceptible performance boost between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600? I know benchmarks will say the 1600 is faster, but does anyone actually notice a real difference?

You will not see any performance increase in WHS.

You will see a performance increase if using 1600 ram in a HTPC with "onboard" graphics.

See post 17406 in Renthx's excellent guide.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972&page=581

You will not see any performance increase in WHS.

You will see a performance increase if using 1600 ram in a HTPC with "onboard" graphics.

See post 17406 in Renthx's excellent guide.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972&page=581

I do not disagree however because things change, addition of transcoding and other functions in 2011, overall system performance can and will be affected by memory speed as you begin to push things. There are allot of factors but in the end if you are buying memory, why not spend the extra $5+ and gain the option. That is the main reason I tell everyone to buy 1600 is that if you look for the right deal it is a better value overall in the long run. There are no wrong decisions, just different ways to view things. Since my memory can get moved around quite often, I prefer to stick with a standard. Just my two cents.