RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 as home internet gateway?

Jason

Has anyone managed to configure their WHS2011 as a home internet gateway in addition to its native role as a home/media server? Am trying to determine how to do this so that I can route all internet traffic from home client PCs via the WHS2011 to 1.) monitor bandwidth usage by PC, 2.) monitor bandwidth used for my house as a whole (my router firmware doesn't support this), 3.) perform web filtering for client PCs and 4.) provide household threat protection for all/select PCs. Figured it must be possible, but this goes beyond a router.

You cannot do it natively but with the addition of ISA Server along with a DHCP server, you should be able to accomplish this. At that point, you are very close to running a full blown SBS server (not essentials). There's a reason its called "Home" server.

Edit: You might also want to look at the unTangle/pfSense topics as this might do it also. Just an afterthought.

Yep, I agree with jmwills, look at pfsence, it has been discussed here, and GeekAccountant is an expert on the subject.

Yep, I agree with jmwills, look at pfsence, it has been discussed here, and GeekAccountant is an expert on the subject.

I don't recommend exposing you WHS directly t the internet; I would run it through Untangle or pfSense

Has anyone managed to configure their WHS2011 as a home internet gateway in addition to its native role as a home/media server? Am trying to determine how to do this so that I can route all internet traffic from home client PCs via the WHS2011 to 1.) monitor bandwidth usage by PC, 2.) monitor bandwidth used for my house as a whole (my router firmware doesn't support this), 3.) perform web filtering for client PCs and 4.) provide household threat protection for all/select PCs. Figured it must be possible, but this goes beyond a router.

Untangle will perform a VPN task but not gateway functions. You can look into something like Hamachi as I believe that will do it. Not sure if pfSense will do a full gateway either.

I don't recommend exposing you WHS directly t the internet; I would run it through Untangle or pfSense

Currently, my WHS2011 box is behind a D-link 802.11n router. However I do use Hamachi 2 to maintain a VPN connection for doing backups of family PCs via internet (each with WHS2011 connector installed). Has been working great. In addition, I'm using the built-in WS2008R2 VPN functionality for a simple L2TP VPN to which I connect my iPad 2 (strictly as a web proxy) and my Win 7 x64 work laptop (for access to file shares). So it's not exposed to the internet directly so to speak. I am exploring building a pfsense router based on the exact hardware specs here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/security/security-howto/31406-build-your-own-ids-firewall-with-pfsense?showall=&start=1

May also consider these specs though I don't care as much for the look:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=5379

Untangle will perform a VPN task but not gateway functions. You can look into something like Hamachi as I believe that will do it. Not sure if pfSense will do a full gateway either.

I'm not sure what pcdoc means by gateway functions, but Untangle can do web filtering, and has reports that will show bandwidth usage. It also has spam, phish, spyware, & virus blocking, along with intrusion prevention. If you're willing to pay a monthly fee, you can get even more.

Of course NAT, DHCP, and port forwarding are part of Untangle's router functions.

Edited by ikon