RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading to a 16 port Switch need recomendations

TSWired

I have been getting by with an 8 port switch in my home network and I am getting ready to add at least two ports for HD Home Run tunners so it is finally time to upgrade.

I plan to do streaming of Blu-Rays from a WHS to HTPCs (possibly two at one time) gaming on PS3s over the network and regular basic internet stuff.

I know I want Gigabit and will need at least 12 ports so I am looking at the 16 port switches to leave some headroom.

So far this is my first choice:

NETGEAR ProSafe GS116 Gigabit Desktop Switch with Jumbo Frame Support 10/100/1000Mbps 16 x RJ45 512 Kbytes per port Buffer Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122139

I know in the past this router had some power brick issues, so any suggestions/recomendations. I am not too worried about the power adapter issues, as I am guessingit may have been updated by now and is fairly cheap to replace.

Thanks

I have been using a similar Netgear 16 port switch for about 18 months and have had no problems with it.

I have the 8 port version of the netgear for the past year and it has had zero problems. I bought the 24 port version of the netgear for our lawfirm and it has had zeros problems as well.

I have been using that 16 port switch listed above for a few months with uverse and have had zero issues. No reboots or anything needed.

Ive been using the Dlink 24port mentioned above for a couple of years and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by tojoski

Stick with the name brands as mentioned above and you will be good. That 24 port DLink is an awesome buy.

Decided on the 24 port D-Link, based on price and having lots of future expandability if I ever need it.

Thanks for all the recomendations