RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Low Power Intel Build

Cino

I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to the whole WHS scene. But not new to the IT field, 15+ years now I guess... I've always had a server running in my house since the NT4.0 days because I wanted a machine that was on 24/7 and be able to access it.. So when MS came out with WHS, I was saying to myself; about time! Now I've always name my windows server SHITBOX since all my crap would be on it.. This server was always built from second-hand crap. It started with OS NT4.0, Windows 2000, then Windows 2003. Its last home made it into a Dell PE400SC. Great box but I've out grown it and figured it was time to retire SHITBOX and create WHSBOX (I know boring name but I may change it back after I break it a few times).

Below is my parts list and some pics.. I have to say the build came out great. I wish I could put more HDs but that's for the future. I may add RAID into the mix but that's a debt I've been having in my head. Everything we build at work has to have RAID and I know it works.. But for a home server, idk... OS mirror, I can see that.. RAID5 maybe for performance if you can add 4-5+ disk in a array.

The only issue I had with my build was the built-in NIC at first. Its a Realtek NIC which are crap IMHO. I was streaming a 16g MKV file to my WDTV Live and after a 1 minute, well lets say you couldn't watch the movie.. It would jump, pause, etc. When I picked my MB, I knew this could have been an issue... So I installed the only PCIe NIC I had, a freaking Quad Intel Server 1000 NIC.. Yeah overkill.... After getting the intel nic to work, I tried again... Guess what, I had the same issue with streaming large files and ISOs. I'm like WTF, is it my processor now? Working in the network/telecom field, I said to myself; Its not a hardware issue but a tweaking issue..If my QNAP 109-II NAS can stream this file then it can't be a HW issue. Remember back in the day we would change register settings(MTU,RWIN,etc) to increase our bandwidth with dial-up? Well this still applies with LANs because it effects your network throughput. So I fired up SG TCP Optimizer, selected Optimal settings and life was good! I tripled check to make sure and without the tweaks, I couldn't stream. Add the tweaks, I can stream using the built-in or the Quad NIC. As a test, I streamed the 16g MKV file while uploading and downloading 8g ISO to the server... The movie played flawless!

Power Usage:

(I have to retest my power usage as I added the LCD and change the intake fan but this is what i had after the first phase of the built with all the HDs in it)

Startup: 40-50w

Idle: 32w-35w (Still tweaking as I've seen this drop below 30w)

Load: 35w-45w (playback)

Storage:

4.5TB total

2TB for Media

2TB for Client Backups, Docs, Software Installs

165GB for OS (I used Acronis to increase the OS size)

300GB for Data (mySql DB, Web sites, misc)

For the built-in Server Backup I attach a 2TB esata drive but its not turned on all the time

Photos and Docs are always backed up to a 2TB QNap 109-II i have on the network

Part List:

Case: LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case

MB: ZOTAC H67ITX-C-E LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100T

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

PS: SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

OS Drive: Western Digital AV-25 WD5000BUDT 500GB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal AV Hard Drive

Storage Drives: 2 SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

OS: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM System Builder - OEM

Intake/System Fan: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1200 RPM - 20 dBA

LCD Display: Crystalfontz CFA-635 USB LCD 20x4 +Keypad (CFA635-TMF-KU)

Cost: Too much, a little over $700 (Didn't need the $120+ LCD/Fan controller kit but wanted the eye candy)

Apps:

myMovies (New to this)

Subsonic (Not up yet)

IIS running about 5 different websites using mySQL as its DB

PlayOn

Cobain Backup

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10(Server Back-Up)

VMware Server (Going to run a FreeBSD and a CentOS server for some *nix apps that don't run on windows)

uTorrent and PeerBlock

Some Pics:

IMG-20110715-00141.jpg

IMG-20110715-00145.jpg

IMG-20110715-00147.jpg

IMG-20110715-00149.jpg

IMG-20110725-00163.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing!!

I really like your power useage stats -- very impressive!

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thanks for sharing. I was not aware of the network setting changes you discused.

There are a lot of settings that you manually change that can increase or decrease your network performance in windows.. Most of the reg keys have been around since 95 days. Come to think of it, maybe even 3.11 windows for workgroups....

I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to the whole WHS scene. But not new to the IT field, 15+ years now I guess... I've always had a server running in my house since the NT4.0 days because I wanted a machine that was on 24/7 and be able to access it.. So when MS came out with WHS, I was saying to myself; about time! Now I've always name my windows server SHITBOX since all my crap would be on it.. This server was always built from second-hand crap. It started with OS NT4.0, Windows 2000, then Windows 2003. Its last home made it into a Dell PE400SC. Great box but I've out grown it and figured it was time to retire SHITBOX and create WHSBOX (I know boring name but I may change it back after I break it a few times).

Below is my parts list and some pics.. I have to say the build came out great. I wish I could put more HDs but that's for the future. I may add RAID into the mix but that's a debt I've been having in my head. Everything we build at work has to have RAID and I know it works.. But for a home server, idk... OS mirror, I can see that.. RAID5 maybe for performance if you can add 4-5+ disk in a array.

The only issue I had with my build was the built-in NIC at first. Its a Realtek NIC which are crap IMHO. I was streaming a 16g MKV file to my WDTV Live and after a 1 minute, well lets say you couldn't watch the movie.. It would jump, pause, etc. When I picked my MB, I knew this could have been an issue... So I installed the only PCIe NIC I had, a freaking Quad Intel Server 1000 NIC.. Yeah overkill.... After getting the intel nic to work, I tried again... Guess what, I had the same issue with streaming large files and ISOs. I'm like WTF, is it my processor now? Working in the network/telecom field, I said to myself; Its not a hardware issue but a tweaking issue..If my QNAP 109-II NAS can stream this file then it can't be a HW issue. Remember back in the day we would change register settings(MTU,RWIN,etc) to increase our bandwidth with dial-up? Well this still applies with LANs because it effects your network throughput. So I fired up SG TCP Optimizer, selected Optimal settings and life was good! I tripled check to make sure and without the tweaks, I couldn't stream. Add the tweaks, I can stream using the built-in or the Quad NIC. As a test, I streamed the 16g MKV file while uploading and downloading 8g ISO to the server... The movie played flawless!

Power Usage:

(I have to retest my power usage as I added the LCD and change the intake fan but this is what i had after the first phase of the built with all the HDs in it)

Startup: 40-50w

Idle: 32w-35w (Still tweaking as I've seen this drop below 30w)

Load: 35w-45w (playback)

Storage:

4.5TB total

2TB for Media

2TB for Client Backups, Docs, Software Installs

165GB for OS (I used Acronis to increase the OS size)

300GB for Data (mySql DB, Web sites, misc)

For the built-in Server Backup I attach a 2TB esata drive but its not turned on all the time

Photos and Docs are always backed up to a 2TB QNap 109-II i have on the network

Part List:

Case: LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case

MB: ZOTAC H67ITX-C-E LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100T

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

PS: SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

OS Drive: Western Digital AV-25 WD5000BUDT 500GB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal AV Hard Drive

Storage Drives: 2 SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

OS: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM System Builder - OEM

Intake/System Fan: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1200 RPM - 20 dBA

LCD Display: Crystalfontz CFA-635 USB LCD 20x4 +Keypad (CFA635-TMF-KU)

Cost: Too much, a little over $700 (Didn't need the $120+ LCD/Fan controller kit but wanted the eye candy)

Apps:

myMovies (New to this)

Subsonic (Not up yet)

IIS running about 5 different websites using mySQL as its DB

PlayOn

Cobain Backup

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10(Server Back-Up)

VMware Server (Going to run a FreeBSD and a CentOS server for some *nix apps that don't run on windows)

uTorrent and PeerBlock

Some Pics:

IMG-20110715-00141.jpg

IMG-20110715-00145.jpg

IMG-20110715-00147.jpg

IMG-20110715-00149.jpg

IMG-20110725-00163.jpg

Very nice hardware and very nice build. Thanks for posting the pics. Let me know how you like Play On, as that has been one of my most problematic software packages to date. Great build thought and good luck.

Very nice hardware and very nice build. Thanks for posting the pics. Let me know how you like Play On, as that has been one of my most problematic software packages to date. Great build thought and good luck.

Thank you.. PlayOn has been good to so far. I did have issues getting it to work on my shitbox because of RDP and the same thing happen with my new box. You have to make sure you have an audio card, turn on audio for RDP and remote the playon audio device from the device manager. After that, it comes down to the website your trying to stream from.. If a site doesn't work, report to PlayOn and usually in a few days they have a new update that corrects the issue.