RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Launchpad - why don't you auto-minimize?

dvn

I have only one real complaint with WHS Launchpad - I always have to minimize it when I start my computer. I found a script by RedCat over on We Got Served that does this automatically. Upon bootup, the script (which you drop in your Startup folder) starts Launchpad, waits a brief period of time, then generates an Alt+F4 using the SendKeys script command. ALT+F4 closes whatever window currently has focus. In this case, of course, Launchpad has the focus. It works. Check it out here. http://forum.wegotse...ad-on-start-up/ And kudos to RedCat.

pcdoc

Why bother with launchpad at all? Why not disable it completely. To me it does not offer the user anything at all. First, if you need to get to your shares, there a several betters way to do that. You add a favorite to windows explorer (my favorite), add an icon to to your desktop, or third, add an icon to your taskbar. If you need to launch the dashboard, the dashboard has its own icon that you can mount on the start menu. At present, I found it to be more annoying than helpful and have had mine shutdown since going to the RTM and to be honest, have not missed it or used once since release.

dvn

Personally, I like the idea of several functions lumped under one icon. As it is now, though, the Launchpad tray icon does not present all those functions in a right-click context menu, which is what I wouldd hope for. You actually have to launch it and then select something, Remote Web Access, for instance. So, yes, a bit on the less-than-optimal side. However, there is an app currently being developed by Jerry Wade called Home Server Status. That gives you a full right-click context menu. And besides the green and red status indicator colors, it also turns blue when a backup is in progress. He just needs to add the actual progress % that will show up in the mouse over and it's done.

This to me is cleaner. One icon, one place to access many things. As far as the script goes, I just thought it was a clever way to deal with a problem.  And it's a script, so you can open it in Notepad and see what it's all about, how it's done.

jeffla

If I disable the OEM 2011 launchpad, will my backups still be performed daily? I would really like to only use the newer HSS connector as it is more functional. Well I guess I'll find out as I have just disabled the launchpad and I see if this laptop gets backup from now on.

gcoupe

@jeffla - I've had the Launchpad disabled for some time now, and just use HSS. Client backups continue to run...

jeffla

Excellent news. I've grown tired of having 2 WHS icons.

ikon

If I disable the OEM 2011 launchpad, will my backups still be performed daily? I would really like to only use the newer HSS connector as it is more functional. Well I guess I'll find out as I have just disabled the launchpad and I see if this laptop gets backup from now on.

I guess I missed it; what is the HSS connector?

jeffla

I guess I missed it; what is the HSS connector?

Basically it is a replacement 2011 connector that has the same changing icon colors as V1. I also like that it provides easy access to Remote access, shared folders, backup and the dashboard by simply right mouse button clicking it. One other nice feature is if you double click its v1 icon, it will load the dashboard. HSS

One last thing, it only uses around 18mb or ram vs 70 for the 0EM 2011 connector. Not that ram is in short supply.

Edited by jeffla

ikon

Basically it is a replacement 2011 connector that has the same changing icon colors as V1. I also like that it provides easy access to Remote access, shared folders, backup and the dashboard by simply right mouse button clicking it. One other nice feature is if you double click its v1 icon, it will load the dashboard. HSS

thanks. I have heard of a 'fix' that allows for the indicator colours; just never knew it was called HSS :)

dvn

HSS = Home Server Status

I'm using it. Have been for about a month. Works fine here. Still waiting to see if the author will get the backup status to indicate percent completed. Even if he doesn't, I'll probably continue to use it.

I had been using that neat script I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I like HSS better because I don't have to launch something to get at the menu.