RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Whiist?

Racer

Okay I have been playing around with Whiist on a HP470 and for some reason I cannot get it to work properly. I have been able to change the photo on the web page but when either I (full admin of the box) or a friend click on the tab to get to the photo section we both get a page atating that "Once you have configured Remote Access to your home server you can share this site with family and friends by sending them the following address:". I have palyed around with all the remote access settings and cannot get the thing to work. Either is get the "Placeholder Content" page or the page cannot be displayed. Now my friend is able to access the server and even download a couple of test tiles I put out there for him but that is it. What am I missing? And yes when in doubt I have read the instructions a number of times and even removed the add-in and started over at least a dozen times.

Racer,
Just to clarify, if you remove Whiist from the equation can you or anyone else properly access areas and folders you are allow to and does "remote access" work correctly in every other way? Also which settings are you playing with?

With or without Whiist installed I and my friend are able to access the folders that we have been given rights and premission to. Remote access works correctly in every way.

There is not too much to play with in the remote acess settings but I have four entries in the web site home page drop down and I have tried all of them. Of course the only one that should work and does is the Windows Home Server Home Page.

Feel you pain. I have the same issue but I think I am beginning to understand what is going. WIll experiment and let you know.

Create a share first, and make sure that you log off and on. Create a sub folder under that share. Goto Whiist and create a website, pick a name and the location you just created (the sub folder).
finish the site and assign it to your front page and you should now be able to access it either throught the net or throught the site itself. It is a very tempermental setup and has to be done exactly and folders can not have files in them. Let me know.

I wish they would start adding more features. It would be great if we could do some layout designs and post video.

Very true. You can work around most of that if you develop a site separately and post it to the server but having the integrated tools would be great. THe other issue is they are still on .82 beta release forever now. The concept was good but it kind of died.

Well at last I got the program working with a few test names and now I haveto go back and changs things to the way I would like them. One thing that I was not able to do so far but there may be a way is to create subfolders so that say vacation pictures can be broken down and kept together. Say for instance main web page is vacations , sub folders 2008, 2009 and 2010. Then have sub subs to each of those years. The way I see it now you can only have one sub folder and all the pictures located there. It was late last night when I got it working so I will play more today.

OK, here is the steps I did and it seemed to work fine. First, create a main folder with the proper sharing rights on your WHS. Next, from Whiist, create a "Simple Photo Album" and point it to the newly created folder. Once created it will setup the library format for your photos but it will NOT yet show up in your homepage. To get it show, go back to Whiist and "Create New Link" to an existing website and put the full web path in the link properties (http://XXXXXXX.homeserver.com/kk/) and click OK. Anyone should now be able to view your phot album assumint you set wide open rights. You will also be able to add and delete files without making other changes. Once the folder is created it is just a matter of adding or deleting files like any other folder and the changes are reflected in your library. You can repeat this as many times as you wand and create additional sites. It is a two step process that is not covered well but it works great. Let me know if your are still having issues.

One additional comment. You must use a folder within a share, you cannot point to a main share for security reasons. For example I created a photo album folder called "kk" under my "public" folder and linked to that. Good Luck. Once you get it working you will find it actually works well but it is not the most straight forward thing in the world.