RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDHomerun Tuner

rothgar

Hey,
I was listening to podcast 63 and heard you guys wanted to hear a little bit about the HDHomerun. I have been building HTPC's for a while now (specifically with MythTV) but have also used a lot of other software (MCE, BeyondTV, SageTV, GBPVR, MediaPortal, etc.). The HDHR has been great and I have had better signal from it than from a lot of other tuners I have used. You can see a small list of tuners here http://1n73r.net/2007/02/22/what-i-have-tried-part-2
The main problem I would run into would be network lag or network speeds causing distortion. With my current HTPC I have the tuner plugged directly into a spare ethernet port and I don't notice the network problems anymore.
I highly recommend the HDHR to anyone building a HTPC cause it is very flexible and as long as you have a wired connection is quite stable.
Let me know if you have any questions about the device and I will try to remember to check back in the forum to answer any questions.

Thanks for your post!
Just to clarify, you can plug the tuner into a network port on the computers (such as a dual-NIC motherboard) and it will automatically set its IP address and such and be able to communicate with that computer instead of being part of the larger network?

Also, what type of "network lag" are you talking about? Do you mind explaining a little more and maybe some of your network setup? Does the HDHR support gigabit?

Thanks!

The HDHR doesn't need to support gigabit because an HD stream only gets up to about 25 Mb/s. With two streams, you're only talking topping out at 50 for the whole device.

I have mine on a gigabit switch and have very little network throughput issues when both tuners are streaming.

I believe the standards for TV have a max of 19mbps for ATSC and 39mbps for QAM. Not relavent, just pointing it out. Two QAM's could in theory be pretty close to maxing out a 100mbps when overhead is taken into account.

• 1 month later...