RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
foy1der

New notebook!

foy1der

So I'm about to finish my master's degree and last week I was offered a job. So clearly I an already spending paychecks that do not yet exist.

I decided to pick up a new notebook, and I decided on the Alienware m14x. It seems like a good cross between unbelievable power and size. I went with the filtering configuration:

Core i7 2630QM

8GB DDR3 1600

Geforce GT555 1.5 GB version

500 GB 7200 RPM HD

1600x900 widescreen

BT 3.0

I also ordered a 100 GB SSD. I plan to take out the HD and the DVD drive. Then put in the SSD and an optical drive converter. So the 500 GB HD will go where the DVD drive is. Its not going to be here until August 4. The wait is killing me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Edited by foy1der

pcdoc

Nice, good luck with it and post some pics when you get it.

Dave

Congrats on both the job and the new laptop!

Mr_Smartepants

Nice specs. But that resolution on a 14" screen is going to have ridiculously small icons! :D

I had a Sony Notebook once with similar resolution (1920 x 1200) on a 17" screen and it was nearly unusable without increasing the size of the icons/text.

Incidentally I just bought my wife a new Lenovo B575 ($299 from BestBuy) and she loves it. Replaces a 6-yr old Gateway.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+Laptop+/+AMD+E-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/2731052.p?id=1218347171491&skuId=2731052

Congratulations on the new job!

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

ikon

Many congrats. Nice to hear good job news in this economy.

I agree with My_Smartepants; the resolution is pretty high for that screen size. It would be great for an external monitor. Perhaps you could have 2 GPU profiles, a lower rez for the 14" screen and the higher rez for an external monitor?

foy1der

Yes it is a very dense display. My girlfriend has a lenovo thinkpad w510 with a 15.6" screen. It was pretty unbearable without increasing the text size. But games are going to look awesome on it.

As for external displays, out should be pretty awesome: hdmi, vga, widi, and displayport.

Ohh and thanks for the congrats!

dvn

Yes, congrats all around! :)

Incidentally I just bought my wife a new Lenovo B575 ($299 from BestBuy) and she loves it. Replaces a 6-yr old Gateway. http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=2731052

Your Lenovo specs are similar to my $299 Acer Aspire 5251 which doubles as the HTPC for the bedroom. Very quiet, especially since I've upgraded the HDD to a 60GB SSD. Boots quick, faster than my desktop.

jeffla

I prefer the denser screens. Our current batch of laptops are 15.6" with 1366 x 768 resolution which in my opinion sucks big time. While typing this reply on my lap I can see the pixels. I miss my higher density IBM laptop from the past. I will not make the mistake again. Maybe my vision is just too good. You can always just increase the font/icon size and have a super crisp, sharp screen so I don't see any disadvantage to a high res screen.

JediTim

I prefer the denser screens. Our current batch of laptops are 15.6" with 1366 x 768 resolution which in my opinion sucks big time. While typing this reply on my lap I can see the pixels. I miss my higher density IBM laptop from the past. I will not make the mistake again. Maybe my vision is just too good. You can always just increase the font/icon size and have a super crisp, sharp screen so I don't see any disadvantage to a high res screen.

I agree...I am still considering between a 17" and a 15.6" Asus. The 17" models are huge and not portable at all. I don't think I would consider a screen that didn't have 1600x900 resolution.