RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive without data on it

lkleijwegt

Uh, which OS?

I would assume WHS v1 since that is the section this is posted under. Just a guess though...

Is it possible to install a c-drive with only the os?

Can you describe your system? Assuming WHS v1, If you add 1 drive to the pool (1 system + 1 data) then the data will not be on the OS drive unless you fill your data drive OR you turn on duplication. If you have 1 system drive and 2 data drives then the data will be on the data drives (even with duplication on).

Basically it won't use the OS drive unless you run out of room on the data drives (when your system has 1 or more data drives in the pool).

Can you describe your system? Assuming WHS v1, If you add 1 drive to the pool (1 system + 1 data) then the data will not be on the OS drive unless you fill your data drive OR you turn on duplication. If you have 1 system drive and 2 data drives then the data will be on the data drives (even with duplication on).

Basically it won't use the OS drive unless you run out of room on the data drives (when your system has 1 or more data drives in the pool).

Are you sure of this. I was thinking you have no control and it puts data on the c-drive whether you had two data drives or whatever the limit is. I was thinking being able to keep it off the OS drive was one of the few major improvements of 2011. Not to mention by OS drive in v1 has a lot of data on it even though my four other drives are less than 70% full. So it isn't doing what you indicate.

I haven't tested this, so I can't confirm.

But from what I was told, If you only have 1 hard drive then obviously any data you add to the shares will go on the D: partition of that system drive. So will to the PC backups on the system drive in a folder at d:\folders\...(8086)... and they will continue to get populate untill you add an other drive. WHS will automagically move the PC backup folder to the new drive and any new shares data you add will start filling up that 2nd drive. Lets say that 2nd drive is halfway full and you add a 3rd drive, the PC backup folder will stay on the 2nd drive but any new shares data will now populate the 3rd drive and so on. As mentioned, only if you turn on Folder Duplication will the previous drives start to fill up or unless that last drive is full.

WHS does not balance the drive with an even amount of data, Even though you get a warning at the bottom of the Console window. What it's actually telling you is that demigrator had run and all your files that were marked for duplication, are.

Are you sure of this. I was thinking you have no control and it puts data on the c-drive whether you had two data drives or whatever the limit is. I was thinking being able to keep it off the OS drive was one of the few major improvements of 2011. Not to mention by OS drive in v1 has a lot of data on it even though my four other drives are less than 70% full. So it isn't doing what you indicate.

When you say c-drive, do you actually mean the d: partition of the system drive ? There is no shares that are put on the 20 gig c: partition.

However WHS does create a folder on the c: partition called c:\fs and that folder contains a hidden DE folder to replesent the other drives in the pool, If you look into those folders, you will see shared folders names and such, but that is actually symbolic links or tombstones to where the actual files are. That's where it keeps track if files drives go missing and you get the list of missing files. Sorry, I'm rambling on.

Maybe the question really should be, "does WHSv1 always have a drive D: partition on the first drive or can it be set so the D: partition starts on the 2nd drive?". Presumably, if there is a D: partition on the first drive, the system will use it.

When you say c-drive, do you actually mean the d: partition of the system drive ? There is no shares that are put on the 20 gig c: partition.

However WHS does create a folder on the c: partition called c:\fs and that folder contains a hidden DE folder to replesent the other drives in the pool, If you look into those folders, you will see shared folders names and such, but that is actually symbolic links or tombstones to where the actual files are. That's where it keeps track if files drives go missing and you get the list of missing files. Sorry, I'm rambling on.

Yes, I meant d partition and by whatever the limit is I meant, the max number of drives you can add to whs v1.

Maybe the question really should be, "does WHSv1 always have a drive D: partition on the first drive or can it be set so the D: partition starts on the 2nd drive?". Presumably, if there is a D: partition on the first drive, the system will use it.

This might be very well be posible because when you do a clean install on a fresh drive, The installer actually creates a 20gig c partition and puts everything on the that partition including the "shares" folders and the "folders" folder. The rest of the drive is blank. Only when you install the connector on the PC to add the SERVER name and password then the server will reboot and then format the d partition and move the folders to that partition.

There is a way to to create a cfi file when installing WHS2011 to tell the OS to use the max space on the primary drive, if a file like this can be added to the WHSv1 install then this is most likely posible given the above information. I'm thinking that you would also have to have a 2nd drive so that the install will make that the primary data drive.