rheo

WHS 2011 - rdp remote access

43 posts in this topic

i am running windows home server 2011. I have the remote access web interface working and can successfully connect to my client computers via remote desktop by clicking on the icon from the web interface. works great.

is there a way to connect to the actual windows home server or indeed other hosts running windows server 2008 r2 using this ts gateway?

i am running windows home server 2011. I have the remote access web interface working and can successfully connect to my client computers via remote desktop by clicking on the icon from the web interface. works great.

is there a way to connect to the actual windows home server or indeed other hosts running windows server 2008 r2 using this ts gateway?

One of the RDP icons should be the WHS; if nothing else it at least should appear. I can remote into my Server 2K8R2 because my WHS2011 is a virtualized OS on the Server 2k8R2 host, and I've installed the connector on the host. Yes, the host is connected to the guest server, but that allows just what you are asking - RDP via web interface into the host OS.

EDIT: I slap myself - the "RDP" into the WHS is simply the Dashboard access. I forgot I used the RDP into the Server2K8R2, and then accessed the WHS 2011 via Hyper-V manager from there. So the RDP in Server 2K8R2 via WHS 2011 is fine, but to itself is Dashboard access only.

Edited by timekills

Great. my whs 2011 is running in hyper-v too. i didn't know i could install the connector software on the windows server 2008 r2 host. i will try it! thanks

Tim

Edited by rheo

I used to install the connector software from my virtualized WHSv1 on the Server 2008R2 host; I didn't originally install the connector software from WHS 2011 into the host since I could just access the shared drives until I realized it made for a relatively easy web access doing exactly what you are asking. It does tell you that it is "not supported" but it will work, if you don't mind installing the .NET 4.0 bloatware. I had to access it via the "connect to more computers" link since the main page only shows three systems including the WHS 2011 box, but when you click that link I get the choices in the image below:

RmtDsktp_Server2K8R2_host_via_WHS2011_as_guest%20%281%29.png

I blacked out the names but you can plainly see the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard as the second (and available!) choice.

Edited by timekills

What, W7 Home Premium is not supported for backups? That is crazy.

Why not just remote into one of the desktops and then RDP from the desktop into the server? Another option, which would be better if it works, is to install Windows Live Mesh on s2008r2.

What, W7 Home Premium is not supported for backups? That is crazy.

Why not just remote into one of the desktops and then RDP from the desktop into the server? Another option, which would be better if it works, is to install Windows Live Mesh on s2008r2.

It IS supported for backups, but not for remote access. I agree it's rediculous; they call it Windows Home Server but you can't remote into Windows 7 Home Premium. Lunacy.

I didn't catch the backup part. It is still crazy though.

To Quote Francis Urquhart, "you might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment"