RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First HTPC Build - Advice Appreciated

Thanks! Looks like reasonable advice. That would put me at the following:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

CPU: Intel Core i3 2100/2100T

GPU: Intel HD 2000 (integrated)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

HD(OS): 60 GB SSD (OCZ Agility II, maybe)

HD: WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 64MB

DVD/BD: SAMSUNG SH-B123L SATA Blu-ray

Case: nMedia HTPC 5000B RT

PSU: Antec EA-430D Green 430W 80 PLUS Bronze

I expect that should be enough to do what I need. And if I run into problems, I can always slip a discrete GPU in there.

Configuration looks good. And just to clarify again, you do not need a discreet care for blu-ray playback or to use your HTPC as a blu-ray player. The first and second generation cor Ix are optimized and designed for HD playback. I have three of them running and all they playback is blu-ray. Do not waste you money if all you are looking for is video playback of SD, MKV, blu-ray, etc. I assure you any problems you have if any for video playback will not be because of GPU.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blabbate

• ikon

• pcdoc

• jmwills

Configuration looks good. And just to clarify again, you do not need a discreet care for blu-ray playback or to use your HTPC as a blu-ray player. The first and second generation cor Ix are optimized and designed for HD playback. I have three of them running and all they playback is blu-ray. Do not waste you money if all you are looking for is video playback of SD, MKV, blu-ray, etc. I assure you any problems you have if any for video playback will not be because of GPU.

I'm going to start without the discrete GPU, and if I do have problems, I'll be sure to come here for advice first. I think it'll be fine, though. Can't wait to get it built!

I'm going to start without the discrete GPU, and if I do have problems, I'll be sure to come here for advice first. I think it'll be fine, though. Can't wait to get it built!

Be sure to take pictures and start a new thread with the pics in it. :)

Good luck as ikon stated, take pictures and post them up.

Totally agree with everything posted here. Will add just one other possible thought. You did not mention this in your OP but if you think you may be doing some transcoding, a little extra money for the i5 2500k would add both CPU and graphics punch (HD3000 graphics) for the transcoding and upgraded gaming. If no transcoding, then for sure go the i3 route.

Totally agree with everything posted here. Will add just one other possible thought. You did not mention this in your OP but if you think you may be doing some transcoding, a little extra money for the i5 2500k would add both CPU and graphics punch (HD3000 graphics) for the transcoding and upgraded gaming. If no transcoding, then for sure go the i3 route.

Exactly the reason I went i5 in my HTPC build.

I don't expect to do any transcoding, at least not for a while, and the i5 2500K is about $80 more. I think I'll hold off for now.

Just came across this article

http://vr-zone.com/articles/more-upcoming-intel-cpus-priced-pentium-and-core-i-this-time/13063.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vr-zone+%28VR-Zone+|+Coolest+Gadgets+for+Men%2C+Geek%2C+Nerd%2C+Overclockers+and+Enthusiast%29

Talks about the six new upcoming Sandy Bridge releases from Intel. Including the i3-2125 which includes HD3000 graphics. Of course not quite out yet, but they state "soon".

One thing you can count on is that things in this industry constantly change. New 2011 socket, and new ivy bridge chip set also will be here before year end.

Just came across this article

http://vr-zone.com/a...d+Enthusiast%29

Talks about the six new upcoming Sandy Bridge releases from Intel. Including the i3-2125 which includes HD3000 graphics. Of course not quite out yet, but they state "soon".

These seem to be pretty modest improvements overall; no new killer, high-end, "take that AMD", CPU in the lineup