RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 144, What do you think ?

diehard

We’re back for number 144. It’s a news show with tons of discussion. We hit media streaming pretty hard, the price change of Windows Home Server 2011, and some friendly banter about a couple of Drive Extender replacements. We did 144 live with video so if it turned out well I’ll be uploading it for you. Let us know what you think. Do you want a video podcast to subscribe and download?

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/07/16/magic-wake-on-lan-updated-to-version-1-2-715-1/

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/07/20/home-server-status-for-windows-home-server-2011-released/

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/07/18/addin-update-squeezebox-server-v755/

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/07/21/synology-diskstation-manager-32-beta-released/

I also covered this topic,

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2666-launchpad-icon-color/page__pid__25911#entry25911

Here is the post on Rich O'Neil's subsonic issue.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2672-media-library-in-remote-web-access/page__pid__25908#entry25908

What do you think ?

No video for me as I only listen when I am doing other things. Things that wouldn't allow me to watch.

I put a banner to Carbonite on the front page. You can find it on the right hand side. Click and read. Give these guys a shot.

Recover lost files with just a few clicks. You can also access your backed up files from any computer or even your iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ or BlackBerry® smartphone. Try Carbonite FREE for 15 days and see the benefits of secure, easy, and hassle-free online backup. No strings attached.

MP3 via subsonic only. I generally listen on my way to work. Now I suppose I could watch while driving.

iSub is the best Subsonic app for ios if all you care about is music. I tried them all and in my opinion it has the best interface, best management and frequent updates. We both use iSub almost daily. It is what I use to listen to HSS in my car.

We have 2 spotify accounts so if you can tell me how I send and invite I will. I would love 2 invites to google+, we are still waiting for google to send us some.

Edited by jeffla

MP3 via subsonic only. I generally listen on my way to work. Now I suppose I could watch while driving.

iSub is the best Subsonic app for ios if all you care about is music. I tried them all and in my opinion it has the best interface, best management and frequent updates. We both use iSub almost daily. It is what I use to listen to HSS in my car.

We have 2 spotify accounts so if you can tell me how I send and invite I will. I would love 2 invites to google+, we are still waiting for google to send us some.

PM me your emails and I can help with the g+ invites.

I generally listen to audio podcasts on the bus going to and from work. When I can, I watch HSS live on Wednesdays. That said, I recommend providing a video podcast for download and then see how the numbers are. There could be revenue opportunities with video banners at the head or tail of the podcasts.

Just listened to #144 today and heard my name invoked a couple times in conjunction with WHS 2011 streaming and Subsonic streaming. I created a post elsewhere in the forums about a week ago talking about problems I've run into with this. The thing I wanted to clear up and state is that Subsonic works great for both audio and video. I saw no problem streaming audio or video from my Subsonic server to another computer, whether on LAN or across the Internet. John "Diehard" Zajdler was kind enough to test this for me by logging in from his home in Canada and streaming a couple movies. To be sure, he had to reduce the bit rate in order to stream without stuttering/buffering but I'm sure that is due to my relatively slow up speed.

The only issue with Subsonic is that it doesn't stream video to my iPhone. But as I understand it, that's the fault of the app I'm using, iSub. I initially set up a Subsonic server on my v1 EX495 server using the Subsonic add-in. I then purchased iSub and after its setup, I was streaming music across my home wireless network and even across 3G, which is impressive considering AT&T has weak coverage in spots around my area. I liked the Subsonic server app so much that I purchased a license for its installation on my WHS 2011 server, in part so I could unlock video streaming capabilities. So, yes. Subsonic works as advertised - solid video and audio streaming, and fairly easy to set up. And I'll mention that for a really amazing demonstration of the streaming capabilities, log into Christian Johnson's server and stream a blu-ray movie. Fairly stunning, although he has the bandwidth plus his dad Gary has it all tweaked out.

WHS 2011 Remote Web Access streaming? That Silverlight-based thing? It works, nicely, but for reasons I can only guess at it was a total bear to set up. First off, my media wasn't showing up in the Media Library. Then I couldn't even access the Remote Web Access page. Yep, I did the whole remote access setup thing in Dashboard. Several times. Sometimes, I'd get a message saying 'The router isn't working', but of course it was. I tried to let the setup configure itself with UPnP enabled (yes, yes...I know... :blink:). I also tried disabling UPnP and manually setting the ports. Sometimes the Remote Web Access setup would report the router as not working, other times it reported that it was fine.

So let me get to the point because a lot of this is covered in another thread - WHS 2011 does a fine job streaming audio, video, and photos. As to the problems with setup, my best guess is that theystem from UPnP on my router - a NetgearWNR3500. I don't know why this is, but it seems that UPnP can work perfectly fine with one app, Skype for instance, but trip all over itself trying to work with something like WHS Remote Web Access.

For now, I'll continue using my Netgear router as I don't have any pressing need for video streaming. This was just something that I wanted to see in action, prove for myself that it works. And it does.

And as to whether Subsonic interferes with 2011 media streaming, my observation is that it does not. So if you're considering Subsonic, I personally give it a thumbs up. And don't forget about Christian Johnson's forthcoming Subsonic add-in for WHS 2011. Sure to be a winner.