RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wireless Access Point Questions

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I currently have a dlink 825 on my network. I have to by a switch for one of my tv's so I can connect the tv, xbox, ps3, and an HTPC to the network. Given the area the tv is more open to the house than where my 825 is, I was thinking about getting a wireless access point to cover my ethernet connections and expand my network.

My question, if I do this, will the expanded access point show up as the same SSID for my existing router or will it be a new SSID?

You can do either way. The IP will be different but you can have the SSID the same. Suggest you get a standard router and use it as an access point (by turning off the DHCP) instead of a switch and access point as it is more flexible and versatile.

Generates a question in my mind.

ITTOG - Do you want a wireless access point so you can connect all those devices using wireless? Or are you looking for a wireless bridge? The reason I ask is PCDOC recommended using another router with DHCP turned off. I believe in that scenario the 2 routers would be connected by ethernet cable and the new router would simply create a new wireless access point to your network (and additional wired ports).

However, if you were trying to get a wireless connection to your TV (because you can't run CAT5) I think you actually want a wireless bridge.

Maybe I am confused....thus my comment at the beginning about a question.

Generates a question in my mind.

ITTOG - Do you want a wireless access point so you can connect all those devices using wireless? Or are you looking for a wireless bridge? The reason I ask is PCDOC recommended using another router with DHCP turned off. I believe in that scenario the 2 routers would be connected by ethernet cable and the new router would simply create a new wireless access point to your network (and additional wired ports).

However, if you were trying to get a wireless connection to your TV (because you can't run CAT5) I think you actually want a wireless bridge.

Maybe I am confused....thus my comment at the beginning about a question.

Good point. Did not read it that way the first time. Very good question and you are correct about using a bridge.

I currently have a dlink 825 on my network. I have to by a switch for one of my tv's so I can connect the tv, xbox, ps3, and an HTPC to the network. Given the area the tv is more open to the house than where my 825 is, I was thinking about getting a wireless access point to cover my ethernet connections and expand my network.

My question, if I do this, will the expanded access point show up as the same SSID for my existing router or will it be a new SSID?

If I understand what you're trying to do is to have a gigabit bridge at the tv-etc. that connects wirelessly to your 825. I used a DLink DAP-1522 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127256&Tpk=DAP-1522 [D-Link DAP-1522 Wireless Gigabit Bridge/Access Point Xtreme N 2.4/ 5GHz Selectable Dual Band / Optimized for HD Video Streaming 802.11b/g/n

] with quite a bit of success (actually had two of them -- one in the family room and one in my office) to connect to my router [DLink DGL-4500] in my basement. When I switched over to hardwired CAT 6 I gave my DAP-1522's to my son who is using them now with no problem in his house. I believe he's even thinking of getting another so he must like them.

Sorry -- I didn't answer you question -- the bridge will access the SSID of your existing router.

Edited by Joe_Miner

I use the 1522 as well. It works good as a bridge when you need or as an AP. I've also used a handful of other devices as AP's. Use the same SSID and most of the time devices will roam in-between them. Some times you have to tell the device to re-acquire. You can also setup an AP as it's own SSID to cover a specific area of your house if you don't plan on roaming. If you space out the channels you can get good coverage without on AP talking over the next by using channels 1, 6, 11. Each channel has side frequencies that overlap with other channels. One, 6, and 11, do not overlap.

Have an old wireless router somewhere? Plug the LAN port into an ethernet running to your main router and turn of DHCP.

Sorry for the confusion. I have cat6 at the TV already and it is connected to my 16 port netgear switch. I was just going to buy a switch to put behind the TV and connect all the devices I mentioned via cable. I was thinking instead of just a switch, maybe get wireless as well to extend/strengthen my wireless coverage in the house. I was actually looking at the D-Link DAP-1522 to do this because it was $50 off. However, pcdoc may have led me in a different direction as I still have my old Linksys WRT54G lying around somewhere. I didn't realize I could use it to do that. Only problem with using it is it isn't dual band to match my 825 like the 1522 would. I may try the WRT54G first and if I like it purchase the 1522 in the future to match my dual band 825. Thanks everyone for the input.

Sorry for the confusion. I have cat6 at the TV already and it is connected to my 16 port netgear switch. I was just going to buy a switch to put behind the TV and connect all the devices I mentioned via cable. I was thinking instead of just a switch, maybe get wireless as well to extend/strengthen my wireless coverage in the house. I was actually looking at the D-Link DAP-1522 to do this because it was $50 off. However, pcdoc may have led me in a different direction as I still have my old Linksys WRT54G lying around somewhere. I didn't realize I could use it to do that. Only problem with using it is it isn't dual band to match my 825 like the 1522 would. I may try the WRT54G first and if I like it purchase the 1522 in the future to match my dual band 825. Thanks everyone for the input.

I do this in my house. I have an old Buffalo router set up as an AP using Tomato. It provides wireless access for my living room laptop (and for guests). It connects to a Netgear gigabit switch located right beside it, which is then connected to my main switch in the basement. And this is the point I want to make: I don't recommend using the switch ports on wireless routers for very much. Typically, the wireless routers have less throughput capacity than a dedicated switch. It seems a shame for you to have CAT6 cabling to your main switch and then hobble it with a relatively weak wireless router switch.

Tomato firmware rocks and you can increase the wireless signal strength very easily.

Tomato firmware rocks and you can increase the wireless signal strength very easily.

DD-WRT can do that too. That said, Tomato is my fave firmware. Too bad it doesn't work on N routers and looks like it will be fading away in the next while as new routers take over.