RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice on new WHS 2011 coming from EX490

EQTitan

Streaming is not a problem, transcoding will be. If you plan on running some background trancoding app that will take HD and stream it through the internet, look for a bit more power. General server applications this is a great unit. Since 2011 runs better than V1, the power should be about the same.

I'd like the ability down teh road to stream HD to my shop about 1/4 mile from my home (same ISP).

Is there a solution that could possibly move me in the right direction, maybe minus the hard drives for now?

(Side note I love this case *to bad that system seem a little dated* Link to the case)

The minute you leave your local network, WHS will be transcoding to a lower resolution based on your CPU. You will be able to watch you content but it will be reduced in resolution based on bandwidth and will work your CPU harder. If that is what you want, get a faster CPU and good bandwidth. Alternatively, you can setup a VPN and stream directly but again you will have to have a ton of bandwidth (not a practical solution)

The minute you leave your local network, WHS will be transcoding to a lower resolution based on your CPU. You will be able to watch you content but it will be reduced in resolution based on bandwidth and will work your CPU harder. If that is what you want, get a faster CPU and good bandwidth. Alternatively, you can setup a VPN and stream directly but again you will have to have a ton of bandwidth (not a practical solution)

Ok so here is what I did:

Local trader I have bought well over 3k worth of stuff from sold me:

$120 ($60 for rack and the 3 cases) + $60 for drive)

a) Half height server rack

B) 3x 4u cases (bare)

c) 1TB WD Black 7200rpm 32mb SATA6 (4years left on warranty)

So I took a drive to (insert local computer store) today, bought a Phenom II x6 1075t 9mb cache 3GHz and a Board (MSI 880GM-E35) only to get home and build the rig....no boot!! check MSI's website the board supports 1035, 1045, 1055, 1065 but not 1075 (sadface)....total cost of board and cpu *****$127.97*****

So can anyone recommend a replacement board?

This is an automatic feature of 2011; it automatically calculates what resolution it can live transcode over the net based on your server and connection?