RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice on new WHS 2011 coming from EX490

EQTitan

I sold my EX490 on Ebay for $549.99, and purchased a copy of WHS 2011 (thank you Newegg)

Now looking to build a new beast (or budget beast with potential)

Usage: Storage, streaming SD/HD, possibly DTV, remote access, etc.

- Looking to stay in the small form factor, with good design pleasing to the eye's in case I add it to my entertainment area

- Hotswap drives (enough to do raid 5 would be awesome)

- Ability to add an optical drive a plus

- Quiet

Manufactured or custom built does not matter...Budget >=$300 (might be tough, I know I won't get a deal like i did with the EX490 *paid $115)

thanks.

I sold my EX490 on Ebay for $549.99, and purchased a copy of WHS 2011 (thank you Newegg)

Now looking to build a new beast (or budget beast with potential)

Usage: Storage, streaming SD/HD, possibly DTV, remote access, etc.

- Looking to stay in the small form factor, with good design pleasing to the eye's in case I add it to my entertainment area

- Hotswap drives (enough to do raid 5 would be awesome)

- Ability to add an optical drive a plus

- Quiet

Manufactured or custom built does not matter...Budget >=$300 (might be tough, I know I won't get a deal like i did with the EX490 *paid $115)

thanks.

You made $435 on your old severe yet your budget is only $300. Come on man, splurge! ;)

You made $435 on your old severe yet your budget is only $300. Come on man, splurge! ;)

I got bills to pay, but if the budget needs to be stretched "some" I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions?

Edited by EQTitan

I got bills to pay, but if the budget needs to be stretched "some" I'll see what I can do. Any suggestions?

Just giving you a hard time.

I will let pcdoc or no-control comment as they are the experts. I am just a wannabe.

Just giving you a hard time.

I will let pcdoc or no-control comment as they are the experts. I am just a wannabe.

experts were once wannabe's...

shhhh, that's a sekret

Well at least I get good vibes here....just waiting for an answer.....haha

Guest no-control

You didn't mention if that included the drives or not. I'm going to assume no drives otherwise you're just being silly

Problem solved....

4 BAY Hot swappable with ability to add a ODD and SFF for < 3 bills

$290 - HP MicroServer

$20 - 2GB ECC RAM Upgrade

Sell old ram for $10

Grand total $300

I would also sell the old HDD and grab a 2.5" for the O/S drive and sneak it in the case there's room! While you can use the software to run a RAID 5 I wouldn't. Spring save up an extra $100 and spring for a RocketRAID 2680

You didn't mention if that included the drives or not. I'm going to assume no drives otherwise you're just being silly

Problem solved....

4 BAY Hot swappable with ability to add a ODD and SFF for < 3 bills

$290 - HP MicroServer

$20 - 2GB ECC RAM Upgrade

Sell old ram for $10

Grand total $300

I would also sell the old HDD and grab a 2.5" for the O/S drive and sneak it in the case there's room! While you can use the software to run a RAID 5 I wouldn't. Spring save up an extra $100 and spring for a RocketRAID 2680

IYHO how does this compare to the EX490? able to stream SD/HD movies?

IYHO how does this compare to the EX490? able to stream SD/HD movies?

Streaming is not a problem, transcoding will be. If you plan on running some background trancoding app that will take HD and stream it through the internet, look for a bit more power. General server applications this is a great unit. Since 2011 runs better than V1, the power should be about the same.