RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote access problem with WHS 2011

writetomichael

Hi guys, I just built a home server myself - setup went pretty much fine however I am running into an error when using Remote access.

I set up remote access within the dashboard (under settings) and i can go to my server page mmserverpage@homeserver.com

and almost everything works there... I can access music and pictures etc.

However, when I try and click "connect" next to the home server icon it shows the below error:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65402513@N03/5954790246/in/photostream

sometime it just shows this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65402513@N03/5954232359/in/photostream

Please help guys, am I being a complete idiot and missing something basic?

Cheers

What browser is being used. I find it always helpful to setup everything with a Microsoft RDP session using IE because the sites were designed to render properly using IE.

I would also check the port forwarding on your router along with any special security settings you may have invoked.

Ok I have also tried to remote access from my girlfriends Hp mini and it works!!?? Still doesn't work when using my gaming rig.

I should have mentioned that I was trying to access via IE9 both 32 and 64 bit versions on te gaming rig

Ok I have also tried to remote access from my girlfriends Hp mini and it works!!?? Still doesn't work when using my gaming rig.

I should have mentioned that I was trying to access via IE9 both 32 and 64 bit versions on te gaming rig

ping the WHS 2011 by name from your gaming rig. I'll make a small wager it comes back with ipv6 on the ping. If so try a ping -4 (whs2011name) and then use the ipv4 address in IE and see if it makes a difference. This all assuming you're talking inside your LAN.

There have been a significant number of users that have had troubles accessing the remote services from inside their LAN. I don't believe a consensus reason has been presented yet, although some folks have suggested amending their hosts file to list the WHS 2011 name and ipv4 address helps.

ping the WHS 2011 by name from your gaming rig. I'll make a small wager it comes back with ipv6 on the ping. If so try a ping -4 (whs2011name) and then use the ipv4 address in IE and see if it makes a difference. This all assuming you're talking inside your LAN.

There have been a significant number of users that have had troubles accessing the remote services from inside their LAN. I don't believe a consensus reason has been presented yet, although some folks have suggested amending their hosts file to list the WHS 2011 name and ipv4 address helps.

seems like the transition to IP6 is going to be 'fun' :P

You do not mention how you set it up. Specifically did you use UpNP or did you configure manually. It sounds like your port forwarding in not setup correctly. I would not use upnp and do a manual configuration.

Should be setup as follows:

Port 80: XXX.XXX.XXX (server address)

Port 443: XXX.XXX.XXX (server address)

Port 4125: XXX.XXX.XXX (server address)

Let me start by saying a big thankyou to you all for helping.

@timekills: do I need to do that in the cmd module? (going home now so will test straight away)

@pcdoc: erm I just set up remoteaccess using the wizard in the Dashboard so I guess UPnP. Defo didn't mess around with any ports (although after I noticed te problem I tried a DHCP fix within my router)

Again I'll try that manual port config when I get home but wouldn't it be set up fine since I can remote access with the HP mini?

Btw yes I'm doing all of this from within my LAN, have not tested it outside of LAN yet

And one more thing: I didn't know If my DHCP had worked so I did it a few times lol

Is Terence a way to check whether I have a static

Ip (and which one it is) from within the server's cmd module?