RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DX58SO slow boot and BOOTMGR is Missing error

TSWired

Three words: Power Supply Unit.

can't disagree. Don't know either of the brands he mentioned. I always stick with well respected name brand: corsair, antec, arctic cooling, etc.

Oft overlooked, and under appreciated. At worst, if you buy a good new PSU you can rule out that problem and have a spare for testing in the future. Much more future proof than most spare parts you can spend money on.

So after doing more testing and not finding anything conclusive, I decided I might as well do a manual back-up of the PC because WHS was complaining it had been 6 days.

About halfway throught he back-up the PC froze (mouse cursor would move, but it would not respond to clicks)

Pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL (trying to get to Task Manager) brought up the same screen you would see as if it were shutting down but it had a message saying, Applying Security Updates where it would normaly say shuting down.

After a while of letting it crank away, I reset the PC from the reset button on the case.

It immediately came back up with the BOOTMGR is Missing, this is the first time I have been able to make it replicate the problem.

The odd part is that I was sure I removed it from the back-up list two nights ago, and it still had the same problem; but maybe I missed a step. Wouldn't be the first time I missed something.

So, I am thinking it is possibly related to the homeserver back-up routine and that it might be a combination of issues or small problems as well.

Right now I am planning to uninstall and re-install the connector tonight and see if anything changes.

Pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL (trying to get to Task Manager) brought up the same screen you would see as if it were shutting down but it had a message saying, Applying Security Updates where it would normaly say shuting down.

After a while of letting it crank away, I reset the PC from the reset button on the case.

Wondering if you waited long enough. It could be a failed update that's causing the issue.

Wondering if you waited long enough. It could be a failed update that's causing the issue.

That is a good pointe; I will check the update info and see if there are any that failed. Or even if there are any recent security updates that were installed arround the time that this started.

Edited by TSWired

After more testing and poking and proding, I decided I would use the Windows disk and let it repair the BOOTMGR file. However, it was unable to repair the error and actually had trouble finding the SSD.

So I settled on doing a complete re-install of the OS (and everything else on the SSD) to see if it would fix the issue. I built this computer in March of this year and it is a little sooner than I would usually re-install but I figured it couldn't hurt at this point.

I am still in the process of reloading and updating everything, I pulled in all new updated drivers for everything and loaded directly from Discs/Downloads (instead of WHS back-ups) just in-case there was something corupt in one of the older back-ups.

Once I have everything back up and running I will try some back-ups and report back to see if that fixed the BOOTMGR issue completely or not.

The slow to boot issue is still the same, I re-flashed the BIOS just to be sure nothing was wrong with it.

Also after reloading Windows 7 there is now an occasional "previous unsuccesful POST" error message with an option to enter the BIOS or to continue booting. I checked the POST Log in the BIOS and the only thing that is listed is 4 occurances of "No Keyboard found" Post errors from 2009; so I suspect this is memory timing related and I am going to dig up the numbers and force the settings manually (default is Automatic) to see if anything changes.

Trevor

I noticed while working on things that the SSD was not plugged into the SATA 0 port, it was actually in SATA 1. Not sure if moving it will help but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Things are now rebuilt and two back-ups have gone off without any issue (one Manual, one overnight as scheduled). Computer woke form sleep without any issue this morning.

So although it is still slow to boot it is back up and running; or maybe I should say slow to get through POST - seems to boot pretty fast (15 - 20 seconds) once it gets through with POST.

I still need to work on the memory and was wondering if anyone has a good program for testing the memory (Tripple channel if it matters) that is safe for use with an SSD. I would like to test then manually set voltages and timings and test again.

I am thinking maybe the corrupt BOOTMGR file happened due to a memory issue, but I am not entirely sure how to test it, this was the best I could think of.

Thanks

I noticed while working on things that the SSD was not plugged into the SATA 0 port, it was actually in SATA 1. Not sure if moving it will help but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Things are now rebuilt and two back-ups have gone off without any issue (one Manual, one overnight as scheduled). Computer woke form sleep without any issue this morning.

So although it is still slow to boot it is back up and running; or maybe I should say slow to get through POST - seems to boot pretty fast (15 - 20 seconds) once it gets through with POST.

I still need to work on the memory and was wondering if anyone has a good program for testing the memory (Tripple channel if it matters) that is safe for use with an SSD. I would like to test then manually set voltages and timings and test again.

I am thinking maybe the corrupt BOOTMGR file happened due to a memory issue, but I am not entirely sure how to test it, this was the best I could think of.

Thanks

It shouldn't matter if the drive is in SATA 1 or 2, as long as it's not in one of the RAID ports (and RAID is enabled in BIOS).

Slow POST can be a number of things. One thing to check is if the onboard RAID is enabled. If it is, and you're not using it, disable it - it can take quite a few seconds for it to figure out that there are no drives attached.

I think pretty much everyone here would recommend MemTest86 for testing RAM.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

The BOOT MGR missing issue is back and I believe it may have been / is, due to a failing SSD.

Last night the system froze and then restarted to the BOOTMGR is mIssing message, after trying severl things to fix the issue I attempted a reload of the OS. Win7 64bit.

I ended up having to try the reload process several times and at first it would get to a random point and then stop with an error. Eventually the drive stopped showing up, even in Diskpart when using Shift +F10 to run from the command prompt.

I took the PC apart and noticed a solid red light on the back of the SSD (-ugh)

So I left it off (the PC), but still plugged in overnight and the next morning upon powering up the PC the light was green again. I treid to reload Windows but the light went red again (and Stayed red) before it could load into the Install screens.

I have an RMA request in to OCZ, there seem to be a lot of others experiencing the same issue since this July, has anyone here had intermittent/fatal issues with an OCZ Vertex 2?