RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DX58SO slow boot and BOOTMGR is Missing error

TSWired

I have a Core i7 build with an intel DX58SO motherboard (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit)that has two seperate issues.

Specs:

Mobo: Intel DX58SO

RAM: Corsair 6g (2gigs x 3)(XMP Prfoile 1 in BIOS)Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Processors: Core i7 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz Extreme edition

SSD: OCV Vertex 2 90gig

GFX: SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Optical: 1 x Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

1 x LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L - OEM

The first happens when booting up; it takes about 30 seconds before it will start loading windows. I have done a bunch of searching online and haven't found any really good answers but it appears that it is "searching" for SATA devices. I have an OCV Vertex 2 SSD for the OS and Software (90gig if it matters) and a seperate WD Black HDD for data. Once it starts loading Windows it loads quickly (~15-20 seconds or so maybe faster). The thing that bothers me is that it takes longer overall to boot with the SSD than it used to take to load off of the spinning HDD.

The BIOS is set to AHC and the BIOS is the latest available, maybe there is an older more stable BIOS for this board I should downgrade to?

I have turned off all devices and ports that I am not using (serial, etc.) in the BIOS to try to speed up the POST/Boot process, to no avail.

In addition to that:

Just over about this last week I started getting a new error, so far I have only seen it happen in the morning. When I get up the PC is on (normally it is asleep overnight) and there is a black screen with wite lettering "BOOTMGR is Missing". I have done some research and I know I can do a repair from the Win 7 DVD, but I am wondering if I should given the following weird issue:

Pressing CTRL + Alt + Del reboots and after about 30 seconds the same message appears(this seems normal and expected given the error).

However, if I press the power button on the computer the system reboots and brings up the Improper Shutdown screen, after selecting Boot normally everything boots up fine. this seems odd to me and makes me suspect that somehow the SSD is not being powered up/that the system is trying to boot from the internal spinning HDD I use for data. I checked the BIOS and boot priority is the SSD, so I am not sure how to test/fix if it is the board/BIOS.

I should mention my WHS is set to wake and back-up this PC (and all of my others) durring the night. I have gotten two "back-up failed to complete" messages since this started. Both instances were on a day where it was still running in the morning with the words "BOOTMGR is Missing" on the screen.

Any help/insight would really be appreaciated. At this point I am considering just ditching the board and picking up a new 1366 board, if that turns out to be the best solution, does anyone have any recomendations?

I have been using ASUS boards lately (2 HTPCs and my WHS)and I was thinking of looking for a 1366 replacement ASUS board.

Trevor

1. try taking it out of the backup schedule on the WHS for a day or 2; see if it still shows the bootmgr msg in the morning.

2. maybe this is some sleep mode issue. Sleep mode can be pretty finicky. How does it behave if you wake it up any other time, and how do you wake it up (mouse, keyboard, power button)?

1. try taking it out of the backup schedule on the WHS for a day or 2; see if it still shows the bootmgr msg in the morning.

2. maybe this is some sleep mode issue. Sleep mode can be pretty finicky. How does it behave if you wake it up any other time, and how do you wake it up (mouse, keyboard, power button)?

I will try pulling it out of the back-up pool and see if I can isolate that as a possible cause tonight.

Normally waking from sleep is fine (power button/Keyboard/mouse) with it waking without any issues. Although now that you say that I am not sure I have checked since this started, I will check it later tonight.

Thanks,

I have a Core i7 build with an intel DX58SO motherboard (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit)that has two seperate issues.

Specs:

Mobo: Intel DX58SO

RAM: Corsair 6g (2gigs x 3)(XMP Prfoile 1 in BIOS)Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Processors: Core i7 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz Extreme edition

SSD: OCV Vertex 2 90gig

GFX: SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Optical: 1 x Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

1 x LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L - OEM

The first happens when booting up; it takes about 30 seconds before it will start loading windows. I have done a bunch of searching online and haven't found any really good answers but it appears that it is "searching" for SATA devices. I have an OCV Vertex 2 SSD for the OS and Software (90gig if it matters) and a seperate WD Black HDD for data. Once it starts loading Windows it loads quickly (~15-20 seconds or so maybe faster). The thing that bothers me is that it takes longer overall to boot with the SSD than it used to take to load off of the spinning HDD.

The BIOS is set to AHC and the BIOS is the latest available, maybe there is an older more stable BIOS for this board I should downgrade to?

I have turned off all devices and ports that I am not using (serial, etc.) in the BIOS to try to speed up the POST/Boot process, to no avail.

In addition to that:

Just over about this last week I started getting a new error, so far I have only seen it happen in the morning. When I get up the PC is on (normally it is asleep overnight) and there is a black screen with wite lettering "BOOTMGR is Missing". I have done some research and I know I can do a repair from the Win 7 DVD, but I am wondering if I should given the following weird issue:

Pressing CTRL + Alt + Del reboots and after about 30 seconds the same message appears(this seems normal and expected given the error).

However, if I press the power button on the computer the system reboots and brings up the Improper Shutdown screen, after selecting Boot normally everything boots up fine. this seems odd to me and makes me suspect that somehow the SSD is not being powered up/that the system is trying to boot from the internal spinning HDD I use for data. I checked the BIOS and boot priority is the SSD, so I am not sure how to test/fix if it is the board/BIOS.

I should mention my WHS is set to wake and back-up this PC (and all of my others) durring the night. I have gotten two "back-up failed to complete" messages since this started. Both instances were on a day where it was still running in the morning with the words "BOOTMGR is Missing" on the screen.

Any help/insight would really be appreaciated. At this point I am considering just ditching the board and picking up a new 1366 board, if that turns out to be the best solution, does anyone have any recomendations?

I have been using ASUS boards lately (2 HTPCs and my WHS)and I was thinking of looking for a 1366 replacement ASUS board.

Trevor

Couple of questions/suggestions. First, you are running XMP 1600 on a board that is not typically good at XMP above 1333. Try reducing the memory back to default and see if that helps and use the optimized defaults for the rest of the BIOS. Memory timings can work for a while then deteriorate over time as things change a bit from time/heat. Make sure boot from LAN is not on in your BIOS. See if that BIOS supports quick boot. As for your new error, make sure that sleep hard drive is disabled. These will help narrow down the problem however I suspect it will boil down to hardware. Intel spec on the DDR3 for the X58 is 1333. Lastly (hopefully) you do not mention it but I assume you do not have a Thermaltake power supply. Let us know what the result of this is.

As for your suggestion of swapping our the hardware, if slowing up the memory, using bios defaults, and disabling HD sleep does not work, then it will most likely be in your hardware or corrupt install. I have seen this issues several times over the last 20 or so computers I built.

Couple of questions/suggestions. First, you are running XMP 1600 on a board that is not typically good at XMP above 1333. Try reducing the memory back to default and see if that helps and use the optimized defaults for the rest of the BIOS. Memory timings can work for a while then deteriorate over time as things change a bit from time/heat. Make sure boot from LAN is not on in your BIOS. See if that BIOS supports quick boot. As for your new error, make sure that sleep hard drive is disabled. These will help narrow down the problem however I suspect it will boil down to hardware. Intel spec on the DDR3 for the X58 is 1333. Lastly (hopefully) you do not mention it but I assume you do not have a Thermaltake power supply. Let us know what the result of this is.

As for your suggestion of swapping our the hardware, if slowing up the memory, using bios defaults, and disabling HD sleep does not work, then it will most likely be in your hardware or corrupt install. I have seen this issues several times over the last 20 or so computers I built.

Thanks, I will add all of these to the list to check tonight and report back.

Trevor

Edited by TSWired

I will try pulling it out of the back-up pool and see if I can isolate that as a possible cause tonight.

Normally waking from sleep is fine (power button/Keyboard/mouse) with it waking without any issues. Although now that you say that I am not sure I have checked since this started, I will check it later tonight.

Thanks,

OK; so after testing, removing this PC from the back-up pool didn't seem to matter (same issue with vs without). I also checked the wake from sleep and no issues there either.

Thanks again,

Trevor

Did some checking and testing:

Wake from LAN is not turned on in the BIOS

I could not find any option for a quick boot in the BIOS, I may need to do more reading of the manual.

HardDrive sleep was set to Disable (left it at that)

- I noticed Allow Hybrid Sleep is on, maybe I should turn this off?

I also went into the BIOS and set the memory to the Default as opposed to XMP1 ,(Default for this board is "Automatic" although there is also a "Manual" option)

- Did not seem to have an affect.

I did noticed a couple of things I had not paid attention to before:

In the BIOS there is a section for Discrete Sata

- The only settings are IDE and RAID

- It is set to IDE (the Native SATA is set to AHCI)

- I verified nothing is plugged into the Discrete SATA ports (white ports on board and rear panel SATA)

I will keep thinking and testing adn report back, I am leaning more and more towards replacing the board when I get a chance.

Also I had not thought to consider the Powersupply, but it is a RAIDMAX that was on special at NewEgg when I built the System. I used a Seasonic for the first time on a recent HTPC build and have been looking at the 700Watt Seasonic to replace the RaidMax anyway, maybe this is a good excuse to swap it out.

Raid Max: RAIDMAX RX-700SS 700W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

-NewEgg Listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152030

Seasonic: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

-NewEgg Listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

Thanks again for the help,

Trevor

OK; so after testing, removing this PC from the back-up pool didn't seem to matter (same issue with vs without). I also checked the wake from sleep and no issues there either.

Thanks again,

Trevor

OK, so that would seem to indicate it's not an issue with WHS trying to wake it up for a backup. Now the question is why it craps out overnight (I'm assuming you're still getting the black screen BOOTMGR error).

It does begin to look like a hardware failure. The last ditch test, would be to do a clean install before replacing hardware though it seems inevitable.,