RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Media Library in Remote Web Access

dvn

When I log in remotely to my server using my domain name, I can access PC's, and I can navigate and download files. That stuff works great. But in the Media Library, I see this:

"An error has occurred on the server. Please try again later. If the error continues, view
Support Information
for help."

I've gone back into Dashboard and rechecked Media settings:

• Media server is: ON
  • Video streaming quality: Best (I've also tried the lowest setting, but no-go.)
  • Media Library: I've looked through the folder share list and made sure that Music, Pictures, and Video are shared.

Any ideas why I can't see my media when I'm in Remote Web Access? Thanks.

pcdoc

Do you have antivirus installed? The only time I saw that message was when I initially installed the RC version. I found that when I installed an AV program I would get that error but like you only on the media. The problem went away with RTM but I am certain it is something that you have installed.

dvn

Interesting. Subsonic and Awieco's DiskInfo and RemoteLauncher are all I installed. I think IE9 is also on there. No antivirus.

pcdoc

It is one of those, my bet is subsonic as I also have Diskinfo installed...

gcoupe

pcdoc - I don't have Subsonic, AWEICO, or anti-virus installed on my WHS 2011, but the Media Library in Remote Access has always been extremely flaky. See

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/the-media-library-in-windows-home-server-2011revisited/

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's some sort of interaction with the modem/router if WHS 2011 is using UPnP to set up UDP ports on the fly for the Media Library?

The Media Library also has some design shortcomings, but that's another story.

Edited by gcoupe

dvn

I may toss a spare hard drive in there and do a fresh install, maybe later today after work. I won't put anything else on it, no add-ins or Subsonic, and give that a shot.

pcdoc

pcdoc - I don't have Subsonic, AWEICO, or anti-virus installed on my WHS 2011, but the Media Library in Remote Access has always been extremely flaky. See

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/the-media-library-in-windows-home-server-2011revisited/

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's some sort of interaction with the modem/router if WHS 2011 is using UPnP to set up UDP ports on the fly for the Media Library?

The Media Library also has some design shortcomings, but that's another story.

Interesting, There has to be a common denominator. I used to be able to reproduce this problem at will. There must a common hardware/software culprit here somewhere that is affecting the indexing to the libraries, or maybe it is something like home groups, or as you stated uPnP although I am using untangle super router which does not support uPnP. Do you have any services or software installed or is it a vanilla system?

diehard

Hi Geoff,

I did mention offline to dvn about your blog post, thanks for posting the link here.

I did have an issue in my WHS v1 box when I set Subsonic to use 443 as the https port. As Mike suggests, try shutting down the subsonic service and test.

WHS2011 does do things differently with IPv4 and IPv6 where there was only IPv4 in WHSv1. I spoke on a recent podcast about being able to see the server when downloading the connector software but then failing to find the server once it's installed because if this IPv4/6 issue. The recommendation was to turn off IPv6.

dvn

What is this IPv4/6 issue? Sounds familiar.

I'll test tonight by shutting the subsonic service down. Let you know how that goes. Thanks for all the comments so far. Much appreciated.

gcoupe

Diehard,

I think the IPv4/IPv6 thing may be a red herring in my particular case (but that's not to say that this applies to everyone). Looking back through my blog posts, I see that I posted about the problems with Media Library via remote access on June 4th. That was when my modem/router was a Fritz!Box 7140 (supplied by my ISP), which is purely an IPv4 capable box.

Subsequently, in readiness for World IPv6 day, I took advantage of a free upgrade from my ISP to change over to a Fritz!Box 7340, which is IPv6 capable. This was on 7th June. The issues with the Media Library via Remote Access remained the same.

Of course, it could be some sort of UPnP interaction with a common piece of code on the Fritz!Box hardware. I note that a number of Dutch users have commented on my blog that they are seeing the same problems. I should try and find out if they are all Fritz!Box users...

Oh, and in reply to pcdoc's question - it's a vanilla system (no RAID) with two Add-ins: LightsOut 1.5.1.1555 and MyMovies 2.00

Edited by gcoupe