RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

launchpad icon color

diehard

To be clear, it's safe to allow whs to wake our laptops from sleep to do a backup when the lid/screen is closed. It won't overheat if the laptop is shut and on? If I could let the home server backup this way my household would be very pleased. If we leave the lids open when the laptops are sleeping, our cat shuts it to sleep on it. Odd, I know.

Yes, your only concern is if your laptop is on a soft surface like a bed and the fan is being blocked. Then the temp will go up. But then again, if it gets to hot, it should shut down.

jeffla

Well it turns out upgrading to V2 and becoming frustrated with the connector color has been a hidden blessing. I learned how to disable the frequent pop up, fix/alter the connector icon color and that I can simply allow a sleeping laptop with it's lid closed to backup late at night.

Thanks guy. I really appreciate it.

ikon

fix/alter the connector icon color

I didn't see where you found out how to change this.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

That's fantastic new. I'll break out the 2011 drive in the next few days and test it out.

An alternative I was thinking about last night was having the laptops wakeup to backup late at night. I havn't tried it yet but I have no idea what happens when you wake a sleeping laptop when its lid is closed.

It works fine. That is how I back up my work laptop every night.

If your having issues running the backup at night, test out the Light's Out addin, it is more robust, you can download the guide that has extensive information. http://homeserversoftware.com/

I have never needed it.

You will need to have the laptops plugged into A/C power, otherwise they won't be woken up for the backup to be taken.

This is true.

To be clear, it's safe to allow whs to wake our laptops from sleep to do a backup when the lid/screen is closed. It won't overheat if the laptop is shut and on? If I could let the home server backup this way my household would be very pleased. If we leave the lids open when the laptops are sleeping, our cat shuts it to sleep on it. Odd, I know.

Yes it is safe. Mine is on the carpet half the time and it doesn't over heat.

I didn't see where you found out how to change this.

See post #5.

ikon

See post #5.

Would you look at that; the posts are numbered :D

thanks, I never looked at the link cause I thought it was about something else. It's cool though.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Would you look at that; the posts are numbered :D

thanks, I never looked at the link cause I thought it was about something else. It's cool though.

Yep, its cool as you just padded my post count. At least it was for teaching purposes. B)

jeffla

Wanted to thank everyone for their input, last night all 3 computers (1 desktop, 2 laptops) woke themselves up and completed their backups successfully then went back to sleep. For once my desire to integrate new technology in our lives has not created a new annoyance. The complaints I received every time WHS notified someone a backup failed, updates were needed, a restart was required, why does my computer have to backup everyday?, it's fuc ing up again Jeff, see the icons red.

So again thanks for the input. No longer will they or I be annoyed by the pop-ups and backups can be done while we sleep. Once my 4gb of ram from newegg arrives my upgrade to 2011 will be complete. Now it's time to throw the old 750gb data drive (not the one with bad sectors) in the tivo, that should make everyone happy as well. More space on the tivo is always appreciated. I wonder if it can hold 2 drives...hmm

Jeff

diehard

Another happy customer :D

timekills

Your timing is right, here is a project to help with displaying when backups are run using a WHS v1 type connector.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/files/file/252-home-server-status/

Please let us know about your experience if you choose to use this.

So it appears that after you configure it, by giving it your homeserver's web address, it identifies its status in one of two ways. Either (by default) as a Win7 icon in the taskbar:

WHSIndicator_Win7.png

or as the classic tray icon.

launchpadIconIndicator.png

If you choose the tray icon, as I did, note that it does not replace the WHS2011 icon - it appears as an additional indicator. Images above show the program in blue status as I tested it while performing a backup. I've since chosen to hide the native WHS2011 indicator as the Home Server Status icon gives the same functionality plus color indicator (i.e. you can access Remote Web, Dashboard, Shared Files, etc through it just like the native icon.)

Edited by timekills
  • Like 1

diehard

So it appears that after you configure it, by giving it your homeserver's web address, it identifies its status in one of two ways. Either (by default) as a Win7 icon in the taskbar:

WHSIndicator_Win7.png

or as the classic tray icon.

launchpadIconIndicator.png

If you choose the tray icon, as I did, note that it does not replace the WHS2011 icon - it appears as an additional indicator. Images above show the program in blue status as I tested it while performing a backup. I've since chosen to hide the native WHS2011 indicator as the Home Server Status icon gives the same functionality plus color indicator (i.e. you can access Remote Web, Dashboard, Shared Files, etc through it just like the native icon.)

Excellent reply timekills, thanks. :)