RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

launchpad icon color

jeffla

I have an issue, that after searching the internet it appears Microsoft claims is a design choice. I would like to know if any of you computer geeks know how to fix my issue before I give up and go back to V1.

My issue: when whs 2011 is doing a backup, it doesn't notify me in any way. As all you must have noticed by now, the icon does not turn blue and no little pop ups pop up. I have had whs 2011 running for 5 days now and was assuming it hadn't been backup up our 3 pcs yet since I must not have set up the backup settings yet. Turns out, we had 6 failed backups in the last 5 days and 0 successful ones as I guess it has been trying all this time but none of use knew it.

I have always told my family if the icon is blue, wait for it to backup up then you can suspend/shut down. But now, it appears I must ask them to open the (seemingly pointless) launchpad and click on backup before shutting your computer off just in case it might or might not be backing up. WHS was a hard sell to my family in the 1st place, they would get annoyed by the pop-ups on whs v1, but whs v2. Well if I can't fix this, V2 will no longer be used or recommended by me. It turned a simple backup notification into a process that average joes like myself and my family have zero interest in doing. Especially when I can just throw my v1 hd back in and forget v2 all together.

Does anyone know of anyway to make the icon turn blue like before? Although I don't exactly like V2, I do like the new remote access and the speed. But convenience will win out in the end if I can't solve some issues. Now don't get me started on the launchpad, that loads when windows boots, but then dissapears.

jeffla

As the days pass I am staring to like V2 a little more each day. What I really like is the speed of the OS and file transfers. The only reason I upgraded to V2 was my main OS drive in V1 was reporting bad sectors so I knew eventually I would have to rebuild the OS with a new drive. When V2 went on sale I decided what the hell, I'll try it out. I would like to get this issue solved, I find it odd MS chose not to notify you when a backup is starting yet decided to notify you of pretty much everything else. You have updates, the server needs a reboot, Tony's PC wet its pants. With all the pop-ups 2011 provides, a simple backup notification would have been nice. For the meantime, I put my V1 drive back in and will hold out hope that someday, someone will care about me and my defective icon colors :(

Edited by jeffla

diehard

You mentioned that your family would be annoyed by the popups in v1, on their computers, right click the connector and untick the "Display network health notification".

jeffla

You mentioned that your family would be annoyed by the popups in v1, on their computers, right click the connector and untick the "Display network health notification".

Excellent tip. We will all appreciate a little quieter home server.

jeffla

That's fantastic new. I'll break out the 2011 drive in the next few days and test it out.

An alternative I was thinking about last night was having the laptops wakeup to backup late at night. I havn't tried it yet but I have no idea what happens when you wake a sleeping laptop when its lid is closed.

ikon

thanks. Will do that on my wife's PC tonight ;)

diehard

That's fantastic new. I'll break out the 2011 drive in the next few days and test it out.

An alternative I was thinking about last night was having the laptops wakeup to backup late at night. I havn't tried it yet but I have no idea what happens when you wake a sleeping laptop when its lid is closed.

If your having issues running the backup at night, test out the Light's Out addin, it is more robust, you can download the guide that has extensive information. http://homeserversoftware.com/

gcoupe

You will need to have the laptops plugged into A/C power, otherwise they won't be woken up for the backup to be taken.

jeffla

To be clear, it's safe to allow whs to wake our laptops from sleep to do a backup when the lid/screen is closed. It won't overheat if the laptop is shut and on? If I could let the home server backup this way my household would be very pleased. If we leave the lids open when the laptops are sleeping, our cat shuts it to sleep on it. Odd, I know.