RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 - Subsonic up and serving

dvn

I finally moved over to 2011. The install went fine. A little fiddling with folder locations and drive letters and I was ready to copy files from v1. I did a straight copy and paste, which went without a hitch. I then installed Awieco's RemoteLauncher and DiskInfo. They look nice and seem to function well. I would like to be able to change the color scheme of DiskInfo but that's a minor quibble.

And that brings me to my topic - Subsonic. Bottom line is, I'm sitting in a breakfast joint streaming music. Very nice, indeed. It'll be interesting to see if I notice any difference because Subsonic was working very well on my EX495. So well, in fact, that I bought a license yesterday for the install on my 2011 server. I anticipate that it will perform at least as well on the Core i3-530 box. Along with the paid subscription comes the ability to stream video, at least according to the Subsonic web site. Yes, streaming works from server to remote PC, but no luck yet with streaming to the iPhone. Is this a matter of some combination of settings and file type(s)? Who knows. It's not a priority, but something that would be nice. I'll have to dig into this some more.

So you have to donate in order to unlock video right? Did you get the iSub app? Please keep us updated!

Subsonic on my V1 ex487 (e5200) worked great with no errors ever. I could not have imagined it could work any better, once I put whs v2 on the ex487, Subsonic flys. What took maybe 4-5 seconds (over 3g) to begin the song now takes maybe 2 seconds now. Actually I have found that all remote operations with v2 are significant faster running on the exact same hardware as v1.

On V1 I was able to stream vidoes to our iphone 4s but I have not tried it with v2 yet. I'll try it out later and report back. In the meantime if you get a chance, check out my question over here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2666-launchpad-icon-color/

The more I think about it, I don't think I ever got it working on my iphone. I believe I was able to see the video folders but non of the movies themselves. Now that could be because they are not in an apple approved format. For me, I never looked any further as I don't have any interest in streaming videos. FWIW, the remote access website.. ie. hpserver.homeserver.com has a very nice mobile site and will stream apple compatible videos, pictures, music and even docs right to your phone. Now of course the docs must be a native format to apple. So I have been able to open pdf files, epub ebooks open in ibooks and so forth. I still use Subsonic for music, but it's nice to have access to all my docs, photos and apple compatible videos on my phone if needed. It works just fine even with the default media streamer in whs 2011 sever settings page turned off.

Edited by jeffla

And that brings me to my topic - Subsonic. Bottom line is, I'm sitting in a breakfast joint streaming music. Very nice, indeed. It'll be interesting to see if I notice any difference because Subsonic was working very well on my EX495. So well, in fact, that I bought a license yesterday for the install on my 2011 server. I anticipate that it will perform at least as well on the Core i3-530 box. Along with the paid subscription comes the ability to stream video, at least according to the Subsonic web site. Yes, streaming works from server to remote PC, but no luck yet with streaming to the iPhone. Is this a matter of some combination of settings and file type(s)? Who knows. It's not a priority, but something that would be nice. I'll have to dig into this some more.

Is it the video or the music that isn't working now? I realize you talk about video right before you mention "no luck yet with streaming" but you have mentioned music as well. Maybe I am confused because it is early on a Monday morning.

I donated so I could continue to stream to iSub. There's a 30-day limit otherwise. Yes, video streaming comes with the donation. Music works fine. It's video which doesn't stream. Like it was said, folders show up in iSub on my iPhone but videos do not appear inside them. Just to reiterate a point, video does stream server to PC on the LAN and over the Internet. It's the iPhone w/iSub that can't seem to manage video streaming. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk