RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 OEM Servers

geek-accountant

Moderator has split this topic off from a discussion about WHS2011 software since this topic discusses hardware.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyway have any links to hardware being sold today with WHS2011? While I will never buy pre-built hardware, I would like to recommend it to others.

The thinking back in May from Paul Thurrott was the hardware would be out late May or early June. This either didn't happen or I am just not looking for it correctly. If it didn't happen, anyone know of any updates on when it will?

Edited by cskenney
started new topic

I know this is an old thread, but does anyway have any links to hardware being sold today with WHS2011? While I will never buy pre-built hardware, I would like to recommend it to others.

The thinking back in May from Paul Thurrott was the hardware would be out late May or early June. This either didn't happen or I am just not looking for it correctly. If it didn't happen, anyone know of any updates on when it will?

I wound up subscribing to TechNet for $200 and obtained SW and license that way. Looks like you can also now procure it from AntaresPro.com and SuperBiz.com.

Couple of systems mentioned on the Microsoft WHS 2011 Product Pages: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/buy.mspx

There are also the AWEICO systems available from Germany: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/06/29/awieco-home-small-business-servers-order/

and the HumuHumu systems from the UK: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/06/15/humuhumu-home-servers-fit-room-house/

I wound up subscribing to TechNet for $200 and obtained SW and license that way. Looks like you can also now procure it from AntaresPro.com and SuperBiz.com.

I have a Technet account and already have my WHS build, but I am looking for pre-built systems I can recommend to family & friends. For me personally, I have never bought a pre-built computer of any kind. The only laptop I use is the one provided by work. But, most of my family & friends do not want to build their own and therefore I need to find some good pre-built solutions.

Couple of systems mentioned on the Microsoft WHS 2011 Product Pages: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/buy.mspx

There are also the AWEICO systems available from Germany: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/06/29/awieco-home-small-business-servers-order/

and the HumuHumu systems from the UK: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/06/15/humuhumu-home-servers-fit-room-house/

Thanks. I looked at the MS page and the link to the Acer systems was not clear that it is WHS2011 or V1. Looking it up on Newegg leads me to believe it is actually a V1 unit.

The other system MS has on their site is a Tranquil system. It does appear to be a WHS2011 system. If you follow the link and go to the Tranquil home page, they have an image at the top of the page of a lady with her finger over her mouth giving the message of silence. Funny thing is that is the exact image to describe Microsoft's marketing campaign for WHS.

Thanks. I looked at the MS page and the link to the Acer systems was not clear that it is WHS2011 or V1. Looking it up on Newegg leads me to believe it is actually a V1 unit.

Yes, you're right, that link is for a V1 unit. Acer have announced a WHS 2011 product (the box looks slightly different), but it doesn't seem to be available as yet. See: http://www.mswhs.com/2011/04/the-acer-revocenter-for-whs2011/

The other system MS has on their site is a Tranquil system. It does appear to be a WHS2011 system. If you follow the link and go to the Tranquil home page, they have an image at the top of the page of a lady with her finger over her mouth give the message of silence. Funny thing is that is the exact image to describe Microsoft's marketing campaign for WHS.

LOL

Guest no-control

I have a Technet account and already have my WHS build, but I am looking for pre-built systems I can recommend to family & friends. For me personally, I have never bought a pre-built computer of any kind. The only laptop I use is the one provided by work. But, most of my family & friends do not want to build their own and therefore I need to find some good pre-built solutions.

Are they capable of installing the OS? Or if you're willing to install the os and let them have at it. I would recommend the HP microserver. Adding HDD's and setting up the server itself shouldn't be beyond anyone whos looking to use this product in the first place.

Some are, but most are not. In addition, most are not located near me so even if I convinced them to buy it, I would not be able to physically set it up for them.

So are we saying that the WHS2011 is unlike V1 in that it is NOT for the average PC user? Most of my family and friends would never build a PC. What they need is something that is almost an appliance, like V1 was, which doesn't sound like what you are suggesting.

Am I just being impatient or am I right in thinking more hardware should be on the market already? If MS plans on just selling this product to us here on the forums and others like us, then this is a dead product I am sad to say.

Guest no-control

If they cannot manage and navigate desktop OS then even v1 isn't useful. Its common misconception to think that WHS is a brain dead appliance. Reality is its a dumbed down server, and therefore not idiot proof (I mean that descriptively). Its why its not a mainstream product and only used by enthusiast level users. You have to have a bit of PC know how just to use the damn thing, its unfortunate. Probably why it never has/will take off in the mainstream.

Lets face it can they cannot handle installing the server OS how are they going to restore a client?

the short answer to the question is no even WHSv1 in MSS isn't going to be simple. Comparing the 2 products (v1 & v2) v1 is a bit easier to setup & maintain. But its harder to use the restore, recover, and backup functions. The HP microserver requires some open the door and slam in a few HDDs as well as install the OS. So no until an OEM releases a product they either need to buy a defunct v1 product or have a builder create one for them (such as yourself)