RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup to shared folders

nicop

Hi

I'm stilling wondering how I can backup client files like pictures, videos etc to a shared folder. I want to be able to access all pictures etc at my Home Server that is at the clients. The backup feature is making compressing the backups making it unreadable for media streaming.

How am I able to do this easy? Do I have to use synctoys, robocopy etc?

I use SyncToy to copy my photos across from my desktop workstation where I work on them to our WHS where they can be accessed by the family for browsing.

Another option would be to set the default file location for any client to a server folder. This would eliminate the copying aspect of the equation.

I use RoboCopy in a Scheduled Task. It's extremely reliable but it doesn't do real-time on the fly syncing folders. I can't recall if SyncToy does it but a little twinge at the back of my mind says it might.

I think AllwaySync cane be set to run on a schedule as well as upon a shutdown of a client.

Yep, all good options. as jmwills point out, I redirect my pictures, music and videos folders to my server. They also reduces hard drive space and backup time on my PC. Then I can choose to enable folder duplication or do a shares backup to make sure I have 2 copiers.

If you redirect to the server, with Windows 7 you can enable offline sync with Sync Center's builtin function, this is good if you have a laptop and need your files when you go.

As diehard said all good suggestions and you can use a combination. Central duplicated storage is always a great way to go but if you prefer to sync, there are various tools. Here is a link to a video I did on Allwaysync.

I finally quit being lazy and set up Allway Sync. Dropbox is the source, syncing to my personal folder on WHS v1. Glad someone posted about this.

Yep, all good options. as jmwills point out, I redirect my pictures, music and videos folders to my server. They also reduces hard drive space and backup time on my PC. Then I can choose to enable folder duplication or do a shares backup to make sure I have 2 copiers.

If you redirect to the server, with Windows 7 you can enable offline sync with Sync Center's builtin function, this is good if you have a laptop and need your files when you go.

I did this for a while then redirected them back to my local drive when they became unavailable while I was doing a server recovery. Now I have a scheduled task to robocopy my local data to the server every night.