RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore Mediasmart Boot Disk

ZA_Tigger

Hi Guys,

I need some guidance, my 750GB on my mediasmart server is being reported as shaky!!! by the smart addin and crystal disk. I dont think it's serious but you never know.

So my plan was to use Easus Todo backup and pull the drive out of the mediasmart server, hook it up to a usb adaptor and backup the 750GB to my main pc.

So the question I have can I restore that image to say a 2TB HD and stick it back into the Mediasmart server and then allocate the rest of the space to the pool?

Thanks

Andrew

IIRC, Easus will let you expand the restore to use the whole drive so you wouldn't need to add it to the pool separately. I've never tried this so there may be gotchyas I'm overlooking.

I used their Disk Copy Clone tool to make a clone of my system Drive to allow me to use a larger OS drive. This is a unique program that will copy the DiskID information from disk to disk correctly. If not done correctly, you will get an error in the Console under "Server Storage" telling you that the system drive is missing.

You have to attach your source and destination drive to a PC and run the linux based software from the CD.

Obviously if some of your files are corrupt, you will have issues.

I used their Disk Copy Clone tool to make a clone of my system Drive to allow me to use a larger OS drive. This is a unique program that will copy the DiskID information from disk to disk correctly. If not done correctly, you will get an error in the Console under "Server Storage" telling you that the system drive is missing.

You have to attach your source and destination drive to a PC and run the linux based software from the CD.

Obviously if some of your files are corrupt, you will have issues.

Exactly. One of the big plusses for Easus is that it copies the Master Boot Record.

Hi,

Ok that didnt work, I used EASUS disk tool in windows to clone the drive and it worked. I also extended the partition from 700gb to 1.8TB and inserted it back into the MS server. Now the MS console doesnt work and the backup service doesnt start everything else seems fine. I went back to the old 700GB drive and everything is fine. So at least I know I can play with this without compromising my data. I hope ;-)

Any ideas on what I am going wrong?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

Ok that didnt work, I used EASUS disk tool in windows to clone the drive and it worked. I also extended the partition from 700gb to 1.8TB and inserted it back into the MS server. Now the MS console doesnt work and the backup service doesnt start everything else seems fine. I went back to the old 700GB drive and everything is fine. So at least I know I can play with this without compromising my data. I hope ;-)

Any ideas on what I am going wrong?

Thanks

Andrew

Try cloning without extending the partition to see if it's somehow involved. If that doesn't work, try CloneZilla Live.

Check the Server Storage Tab to see if it says the system drive is missing.

You say you used the disk tools in Windows. I used a CD bootable disk. It also took care of the disk size.

Check the Server Storage Tab to see if it says the system drive is missing.

You say you used the disk tools in Windows. I used a CD bootable disk. It also took care of the disk size.

I agree. I don't recommend trying to clone a drive that contains the currently running OS, if that's what you did (not sure it's even possible actually). I switched from EASUS to CloneZilla because EASUS was too slow for me.

Hi,

Thanks both drives were connected to a different pc when I was running the clone. So the OS wasn't running. And yes diehard when I booted up on the 2TB the light was flashing on the 1st bay and while the console didnt work, the windows media center console did report the OS drive being missing. I think the drive ID isn't being preserved, so I will try clonzilla (will that also extend the partition?)

thanks again

Andrew