RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS 2011 Build

vinylfreak

I thought Id better start a new thread to chronicle my WHS 2011 build as it progresses.

First Entry!

New! Server Case! In Da House!!! :D

P1000691.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vinylfreak

• ikon

• timekills

• Joe_Miner

Looks pretty awesome. Be careful of their use of 80mm fans for noise and the type of drives you put in there.

Looks pretty awesome. Be careful of their use of 80mm fans for noise and the type of drives you put in there.

Yeah, one of the few Cons for me on this case was the 80mm fans. Supposedly the 80mm exauhst fans are of higher quality and lower noise than there stock 80mm fans. I purchased two of these for in front of where the Raid 5 drives will set. Hopefully the combo will cool well and not be annoyingly loud.

What should I be concerned with, as far as what types of drives I will use?? My Raid 5 array will be made up of 6 2 TB WD ears drives, I planned for my OS to consist of two 2.5 WD Black 320s in an IcyDock mirrored enclosure and I also might be using a couple of 1TB WD Black drives. Are your concerns directed toward Heat??

Yeah, one of the few Cons for me on this case was the 80mm fans. Supposedly the 80mm exauhst fans are of higher quality and lower noise than there stock 80mm fans. I purchased two of these for in front of where the Raid 5 drives will set. Hopefully the combo will cool well and not be annoyingly loud.

What should I be concerned with, as far as what types of drives I will use?? My Raid 5 array will be made up of 6 2 TB WD ears drives, I planned for my OS to consist of two 2.5 WD Black 320s in an IcyDock mirrored enclosure and I also might be using a couple of 1TB WD Black drives. Are your concerns directed toward Heat??

Just a reminder about Arctic Cooling fans: these are what I used in my HTPC: http://www.arctic.ac...-f-pro-pwm.html

The only drives that get hot are the caviar blacks so make sure they are cooled. Should be no issue with the EARS drives as two of my arrays have are using the EARS drives and two are using the EADS and both have been flawless. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, avoid using the MB controllers. Other than that you should be good. Look forward to following this build.

Why does SilverStone call it a HTPC case? Looks nice.

SilverStone makes a full line of very well built HTPC cases. My ver1 box is my old HTPC an SilverStone LC-17B.

The GD03 is definitely an HTPC case on Steroids. I really liked the # of drives it could hold, plus the two hot swap bays.

It should be an interesting build.

The only drives that get hot are the caviar blacks so make sure they are cooled. Should be no issue with the EARS drives as two of my arrays have are using the EARS drives and two are using the EADS and both have been flawless. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, avoid using the MB controllers. Other than that you should be good. Look forward to following this build.

Sounds Good!

Thanks!