RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Centers Compared

awraynor

They don't compare at all to Media Center in my opinion due to lack of tuner support. I'm always going to need that (well maybe not always, but for the foreseeable future). I'm almost rather they have thrown in Sage or MythTV, as those are the only real competitors to Media Center.

That is true. I did like using XBMC on my 1st gen XBox until a lightning strike claimed it. Boxee is interesting, being a port of XBMC, but the form factor of the Boxee Box is sure to deter a lot of
consumers given it's very odd shape.

It was definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but I think the point was that they were looking to see how three different types of programs compare and contrast in functionality.

I guess it boils down to what you want to do. I am running Boxee on a test box and I find the interface clumsy, not well thought out and at times confusing. It is also terrible at local file handling which is mostly what I do. For me, WMC is clear winner even if it is not perfect. The only real complaint is the lack of caching network files as I pull my movies right off of WHS. Thanks for the link.

I wish WMC would expand it's Internet TV tab to start coming close to what Boxee or Hulu have currently. That would be a nice move on their part. Think of how many people would start using media center if you told them they could control Hulu on their PC with their WMC Remote on their big screen TV. Lots of exciting stuff going on in this category and MS is moving a bit slow on online content.

That's not a Microsoft Issue. They have prepared the system by which the content providers can add their content. It's up to others to actually put content in there. CBS is the only one that has really taken advantage of that.