RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dlink DIR-655 Strikes again!

My first health alert in Windows Home Server 2011 and it was due to the DIR-655. It lost connection with it or something and thinks port forwarding is not configured.

That's the last straw for me and my trusty 655. I need to start shopping a new router.

I wonder if it's time for pfSense and unTangle? It would be nice to be able to login and see if there was a bandwidth hog on the network.

That was going t o be my suggestion. Running Untangle since March and loving it. Small growing pains but definitely worth it.

jmwills

Either that or a Linksys WRT54GL loaded with the Tomato software. You will be pleasantly surprised of how much you can boost the wireless signal strength.

I love the tomato firmware. I boosted wireless transmission and I get a great signal everywhere in my home. I haven't figured out if it supports guest access point though. I must try pfense and/or untangle. Looks like a fun project. :)

Edited by texasPI

Honestly, I don't need my router to be wireless. I have access points scattered around the house. I need a good router first, wireless is completely secondary. I just need to do the untangle thing or get a nice used sonicwall or cisco. Something like that. Geez, I have an old cisco router but it's only 10/100. Not even sure if it boots up anymore.

Router doesn't need to be gigabit. Its passing 30 Mbps tops. Just put all your gear on a gigabit switch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Router doesn't need to be gigabit. Its passing 30 Mbps tops. Just put all your gear on a gigabit switch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Good point.

Mine constantly complains that the router isn't configured correctly regardless of what router I use and ports I forward. I've just ignored the alerts..

Edited by tojoski