RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sans Digital RAID enclosure

Jazman

This is coming up as later today as part of Newegg's Shell-Shocker sales. Has anyone used this piece? It comes with a 5-drive enclosure that outputs via eSata. It looks like it has a nice fan in the back to pull air over the drives but photos don't tell the whole story. It also includes a PCIe card to connect that supports the multi-drive over single eSata connection protocols.

A few thoughts: I'm not 100% sure how I want to use this yet. For example, I may not necessarily want to RAID this. I may just want a bunch of drives as a media pool. Or, I may want to set-up 4 drives that are 2 sets of mirrors. I don't subscribe to the RAID5 concept (that's a whole different thread outside this scope). I'm thinking ahead right now.

This is normally $200 but will be something less later today.

Your thoughts?

Keith

Guest no-control

I used one of their 4bay models for several years without issue. the fan will keep the drive plenty cool so no worries there. I'm not a big fan of the RAID controller these type of boxes typically use. But that just my opinion. I don't know that the RAID is as flexible as your hoping. I would just use it to pass all the drives to the OS and then use the RAID capabilities of the OS to handle mirroring. Not sure what there is to subscribe to with RAID5. It's a volume with a parity drive. Pretty simple. It's a good unit if it fits your specific needs.

Like No-Control I have used a four bay model for a couple of years.

The raid card is really a "port multiplier" card which lets you use one esata connection to four drives annd that it does. It's pretty fast. Hard to notice any difference streaming from a drive in the Sans vs one in the server case.

In V1 of WHS it was great. Just set it to JBOD mode and you could chuck anything in there and it was added to the pool.

With 2011, I had hoped to use drives in the Sans as mirrors for the four drives in the server box. Alas, this will not work.

Only drives in the Sans can be put into a raid array in my experience (I have tried this several times but if someone can prove me wrong I would be happy to hear about it.)

Perhaps one of the DE replacemnets will provide greater utility to the Sans box, but I am still waiting for the dust to settle on these products before implementing one of them.

Guest no-control

@Renny

The model he looking at has a built in RAID controller. Similar the IcyDock 2x2.5" some use.

So does my TRMB4. Just saying that the raid functionality is only available on disks located in the appliance itself; not between drives external to it.