RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you create restore thumb drive if virtualized

edamiga1

I have my WHS 2011 running on a virtual server running Hyper-V. My quesiton is how do you get it to create the thumb drive backup restore thumb drive?

Hyper-V cannot pass through usb devices and thus I cannot create a key? Is anyone else having this issue?

I have my WHS 2011 running on a virtual server running Hyper-V. My quesiton is how do you get it to create the thumb drive backup restore thumb drive?

Hyper-V cannot pass through usb devices and thus I cannot create a key? Is anyone else having this issue?

I used USB Over Network from here:

http://www.usb-over-network.com/usbnet-solutions/virtual.html

It's a bit expensive for this use alone but I had it for another purpose.

The trial allows 15 days use and 1 device so you could create your restore USB using that.

Edited by gregby

• 5 weeks later...

I used USB Over Network from here:

http://www.usb-over-network.com/usbnet-solutions/virtual.html

It's a bit expensive for this use alone but I had it for another purpose.

The trial allows 15 days use and 1 device so you could create your restore USB using that.

$149 is a lot expensive and not something I could justify. Any other ideas????

$149 is a lot expensive and not something I could justify. Any other ideas????

I just tried it using the trial software and it worked great. I installed the server version on the host (2008R2) and the client on the virtualized OS (WHS2011) and it saw the USB drive like I had just plugged it in. Didn't even need to offline the drive and add it. Of course, you can't offline a USB drive anyway, but I thought it might require some trickery to the OS's. Nope. You can even set the server side to automatically pass through any USB connected devices. I didn't want that, so I set it to manual. Plug the USB device into the host, select it for sharing and to which client OS (that already has the client software installed) and bam, it shows up in the client worked perfectly to create the boot disk.

That said, why the heck can't you do the install from a client? Stupid. I'll take a look at the files on the USB drive and make an ISO. Likely you can just make a standard bootable USB and copy the ISO contents on to it. I'll try and give that a whirl, but if you're in a hurry, just use the trial software.

Thanks. No hurry.... I dump of the files on the drive, just names size would be a great start, I could probably figure out the rest....