RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drivepool installed - no effect

WHS 2011

4 2terabyte drives installed that are c - d - e +F

Can someone succinctly (meaning step by step) explain to me how to use drivepool.

I installed it but apparently nothing's changed.

All my folders say NOT IN POOL. I can't move any folders to this so called pool.

I managed to pool my drives but WHS 2011 still says I'm out of space on my client backups drive.

I have 4 systems (each with about 1.5 TB data) that need backing up

Absolutely any advice welcome.

Help

I assume you are using Stablebit drivepool?

Following the install, did you add any drives to the pool? They don't add themselves. Hate to say it, but RTFM man... the product is pretty easy to use if you read the instructions. just a thought....

http://blog.covecube.com/2011/02/introducing-stablebit-drivepool-for-the-windows-home-server-2011/

While on the Stableb just it Drivepool tab, you can right click a drive and select add drive to the storage drive pool, or use the link on the right side.

You say...>>4 2terabyte drives installed that are c - d - e +F

but WHS creates a 60 GB system drive as C: and the remaining drive space as D:

I doubt you have 4x2TB as C-F: perhaps drive letters are different.

What size is drive 0 in your system? This should be C: and the remaining drive space as D:

What drive letters are showing for your 4x2TB drives? Add these to the pool and you should be fine.

Currently drivepool does not allow moving default shares to the pool. You have to create new shares in the pool before use.

Also, keep in mind Drivepool is still beta and not intended for production use.

Edited by TechMule

I assume you are using Stablebit drivepool?

Following the install, did you add any drives to the pool? They don't add themselves. Hate to say it, but RTFM man... the product is pretty easy to use if you read the instructions. just a thought....

http://blog.covecube.com/2011/02/introducing-stablebit-drivepool-for-the-windows-home-server-2011/

While on the Stableb just it Drivepool tab, you can right click a drive and select add drive to the storage drive pool, or use the link on the right side.

You say...>>4 2terabyte drives installed that are c - d - e +F

but WHS creates a 60 GB system drive as C: and the remaining drive space as D:

I doubt you have 4x2TB as C-F: perhaps drive letters are different.

What size is drive 0 in your system? This should be C: and the remaining drive space as D:

What drive letters are showing for your 4x2TB drives? Add these to the pool and you should be fine.

Currently drivepool does not allow moving default shares to the pool. You have to create new shares in the pool before use.

Also, keep in mind Drivepool is still beta and not intended for production use.

Ignoring the fact that.

1. I posted it in drivepool so amazingly I assumed most people would know i meant stable bit drivepool.

2. I actually said I pooled my drives so your question 'did you add any drives to the pool' seems a bit redundant.

3. Thanks for the RTFM. So I'm not allowed to ask qustions in the forum until i can prove I've read the manual. Jeesus that's a bit harsh

4. Of course I know WHS creates a system drive & guess what I know it's drive C. Again amazingly I assumed most people here were smart enough to get that part.

and so on. Thanks anyway dude you haven't been any help at all. Unless you can tell me how to setup my clients backups to go to the pool I wait for someone who actually reads my question before jumping in with a condescending RTFM comment.

Please read my post you will see that I stated drivepool does not allow moving default shares to the pool.... by default shares I mean the 'Client computer backups' share that you are using to backup your clients. Perhaps this is not in the link I posted above, but I read this somewhere while researching the product.

you are trying to do something not supported by the product. There may be a reg hack that allows you to change the location of Client backups to a User defined share on the pool, but I am not aware of one,if it exists.

Absolutely any advice welcome.

you're welcome.... ;)

Edited by TechMule

Ignoring the fact that.

1. I posted it in drivepool so amazingly I assumed most people would know i meant stable bit drivepool.

2. I actually said I pooled my drives so your question 'did you add any drives to the pool' seems a bit redundant.

3. Thanks for the RTFM. So I'm not allowed to ask qustions in the forum until i can prove I've read the manual. Jeesus that's a bit harsh

4. Of course I know WHS creates a system drive & guess what I know it's drive C. Again amazingly I assumed most people here were smart enough to get that part.

and so on. Thanks anyway dude you haven't been any help at all. Unless you can tell me how to setup my clients backups to go to the pool I wait for someone who actually reads my question before jumping in with a condescending RTFM comment.

Because there's nothing here remotely condescending....Hey but look on the bright side, however condescending the reply was. He did actually answer your question fully.

Currently you cannot move default folders or client backups into the pool. Im not even using Drivepool(YET). So it took me 90 seconds to find the answer on the covecube site. :o

Because there's nothing here remotely condescending....Hey but look on the bright side, however condescending the reply was. He did actually answer your question fully.

Currently you cannot move default folders or client backups into the pool. Im not even using Drivepool(YET). So it took me 90 seconds to find the answer on the covecube site. :o

So what you are saying is that client backups can't exceed 1 drive (which can be up to 2TB) even after drivepool has been installed. Drivepool can't help me span disks for my client backups. If that's what you are saying then both WHS 20011 and Drivepool are outta here today. Tell me it ain't so.

So what you are saying is that client backups can't exceed 1 drive (which can be up to 2TB) even after drivepool has been installed. Drivepool can't help me span disks for my client backups. If that's what you are saying then both WHS 20011 and Drivepool are outta here today. Tell me it ain't so.

This will be implemented in the next M3 release. So far the funtionality is added in stages. But yes, once the main shared folders can be moved to drive pool, then the PCbackup share can be moved to a pool, you will then be limited to the size of that pool. But do remember that once that share exceeds 2TB then you will no longer be able to add that share to the automatic shares backup because WHS2011 uses the 2TB limit VHD to do backups.

Currently I have been testing DriveBender and they have merged their folders with the current builtin shares and I can moves the builtin shares to the pool.

If this thread is being moderated (meaning my comments were deleted, as I have observed) - I don't like it.

Please send me a PM and explain why this is being done here.

If this thread is being moderated (meaning my comments were deleted, as I have observed) - I don't like it.

Please send me a PM and explain why this is being done here.

Done.