RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dave's 2011 Install and Migration

Dave

I just wanted to start a place to keep some notes on my installation. It's actually been in process for a few days but I haven't been in a huge hurry to get it done.

Two 250 Gig drives for the OS in an Icy Dock Mirror

Three 2TB drives in a RAID 5 array. 3.7TB useable on the Intel SATA ports on the motherboard.

Two 2TB drives in a mirror on a RocketRaid 620, two port card.

All drives are hard mounted in the case. I also have a 3-in-2 external cage that I will use to hot swap drives in and out of the server.

At this point i'm not real sure where I'll put my folders or where I'll save computer backups to. I plan to do a server backup of the 2TB mirrored volume so I don't know which RAID to trust more.

The RAID 5 or the mirror with an external backup.

During data migration goal is to have data in two places at all time. Most of the time I will have 3 copies at once. This is due to having external backup drives on V1 that I'm not touching during migration.

Backed up all computer to the v1 server

Ran a BDBB backup to an external drive, 1TB. Archiving this drive. Will load v1 in a VM to get to this data if needed.

Removed BDBB duplication in order to free up space on v1.

Copied DVD library which is the bulk of my data to a Synology DS211+ setup in JBOD mode. Two 1.5TB drives in one volume so it looks like 3TB.

Removed duplication on the DVD folder to free up space.

Backed up MyMovies Database via settings in v1 server.

Cleared up KeepVault and made sure there were no pending files to backup to my cloud location.

Using RichCopy utility to copy from v1 to 2011.

Copied Music, Video, Users, Public, etc.

1st Lesson

Clean up your data! I thought I did but during a copy operation I found 104,000 files totaling 95Gigs of data. It was my old Audacity folder that I used when creating the podcast. A one hour recording can run about a gig worth of data when recording to .wav format. When you save in audacity it creates a bazillion little files of audio. I'm cleaning these up slowly and just going to keep the .mp3 as a backup to what is online. Another found folder of 18 gig of .wav.

I have two instances of RichCopy running right now. One to the mirror and one to the RAID5. The copy is coming the v1 and the Synology so two different sources on the network to two different destinations on the 2011.

I'll keep the thread updated as I go along.

Nice write up so far and good description of how you are making the migration happen in a safe and worry free fashion. I look forward to reading more and seeing progress updates.

Side note: the Icy Dock Mirror is the coolest part of the build in my opinion... I have to get one of those enclosures.

Two 250 Gig drives for the OS in an Icy Dock Mirror

Three 2TB drives in a RAID 5 array. 3.7TB useable on the Intel SATA ports on the motherboard.

Two 2TB drives in a mirror on a RocketRaid 620, two port card.

What's the targeted data plan here?

AV files on Raid5, Critical data on the mirror?

Personally, things seem overly complicated to me with all the raid arrays. if Raid is a must have, I'd skip the MB raid and get a HP-2720 and use it for both Raid5 and the mirror to ensure better performance. I also don't see a need to mirror the OS. Has anyone every fully recovered a failed OS drive from this type of setup in WHS 2011?

@techmule, please expand on the HP-2720. If you do a google shopping search on it you will see what i mean. How much does the card run?

http://homeservershow.com/vail-test-server-build.html Here are the parts I purchased last year for testing. Same build except I removed the iStarUSA box and replace with the Icy Dock.

http://homeservershow.com/icy-dock-mb982spr-2s-review.html

The targeted data plan is use the drives I have instead of planning it out! Media on the RAID5, user data on the mirror. Backup the mirror. I think this is what I've finally decided.

Highpoint 2680

or, if you need Sata III/6 GB

Highpoint 2720 SGL <--- This is my reference to HP-2720 above.

Big 2720 HSS discussion is here.

+ the cost of

HighPoint Internal Mini-SAS to 4SATA

You can buy in at $110-$160 depending on your card choice and if you need 1 or 2 Mini-SAS to 4SATA

With the initial lengthy install/configuration required with Raid, I'd opt to do it 'right' the first(& only) time and skip all the half baked options of using an existing 2 port Raid card and MB Raid. Plus I can't say I am a fan of having three different Raid controllers as you have setup your build. It just seems way too complicated and ensures hours of endless maintenance and monitoring.

The targeted data plan is use the drives I have instead of planning it out! Media on the RAID5, user data on the mirror.

Do you currently have 2TB of user data? if not, seems like a waste(overkill) to allocate 2x2TB for mirrored User data. I could easily get by with a 500GB (or 2x500GB) for my user data and that includes all my Photos (DSLR) and Software.

Edited by TechMule

I have 76GB of photos, 101GB of video, and 226GB of HD Video from our camcorder. All of this done without the iPhone 4 and DSLR which I'm trigger happy with both. I'm just trying to build in some growth. My photos and video directory go back to 2004 too.

Ok, HighPoint. I had a duh moment there. It's a matter of cost right now. I have zero server fundage left and these are the parts I have. I don't know if this is the smartest move having multiple RAID configurations but I don't mind the maintenance of it. It's been running flawless for a week although that's not saying much as it needs to be a multi-year solution. I will have a backup solution in place for every single file on the server though. Either cloud or external drive. That is a must.

I have 76GB of photos, 101GB of video, and 226GB of HD Video ...

OK, so you currently have about 400GB. A 2TB drive certainly gives you room to grow :)

Edited by TechMule

Everything is up and running. I only have two workstations backing up at the moment but will add the rest as soon as I can. I'm waiting for a server backup to kick off here soon. My first manual backup hung for some reason. I think it was the external HP simple save drive that was causing it. Pulled the drive and formatted it in order to start over. The HP Simple save drive also loads up a virtual CD drive letter to facilitate the install of the HP software so I'm dumping that case because of it.

Will let you know soon! KeepVault and MyMovies are next once everything is stable.

Backup of the server kicked off at 3PM and it's now 9 and it's at 85%. I thought it would be faster than that even though i realize it's the first full backup of the server. It's USB 2.0 so maybe that's the reason.

I also threw in a few drives into the Icy Dock 3-in-2 just for grins. My datavault x510 is now powered off and only has one drive in it. Once I'm satisfied with the server backup process I'll remove that last drive.

I'm also thinking of trying an iSCSI connection to the Synology DS211+. Maybe use that as a secondary backup with Synctoy.