RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iPhone malware

I'm wondering about iPhone malware, specifically something that would send someone a PDF using your email account. I received an email with a zipped PDF of theater tickets from my daughter yesterday. The play in question took place this last February. I opened the PDF in a VM and it looked legit. Leaves me wondering what is going on. The theater company logo looked legit/correct, the summary of charges was correct. No sensitive info in the PDF. But of course there was the image of the logo which is a potential vector for exploit.

I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean that it had to have come from my daughter's iPhone. But the question is out there. Has anyone seen or heard from a person you know of iPhone malware?

Googling it just now comes up with a German news account of iPhone malware that involves a PDF. Strange coincidence?

It's absolutely possible until Apple pushes out the patch. I can tell ya that I'm patched! wink, wink, nod, nod!

Is this a recent thing?

What I came across quickly looking around is that you can get rid of the infection by jail-breaking your iPhone. So other than guessing, how would one know if they were infected?

I'm not real sure how you would be able to tell if your infected.

Here is how I'm protected. Here is a screen cap of my phone. See if you can tell!

photo.png

I don't know if I'll keep it like this or not. It's not without it's issues let me tell ya that!

Well, jailbreak and then applying the pdf patch would fix that particular exploit. Jailbreaking alone doesn't secure you against it.

Pdf patch 2 can be found in cydia.

Edit: Dave yes! Number row on keyboard! What'd I win?! LOL

Edited by texasPI

Ha, you spotted it quick. I'm just goofing around with this whole jailbreak thing. I've been taking notes and have a nice article that I could write about the whole thing. I'm not so sure about publishing it though as it's not very glowing to the jailbreak community. I don't want antisec coming down on me! Actually, it's about 50% good, 50% bad.

Oh I understand what you mean. I jailbroke my iPad 2 as soon as I heard it was possible. I primarily wanted to do it so I could run xbmc on it and I did but it was not a good enough experience for me so I restored it soon after. Air video works good enough for me.

Please don't tempt the wrath of the hackers! I need my hss! LOL

Okay. Let's assume an iPhone is infected. Now what? Does jailbreaking it wipe the infection? Does doing that plus applying the PDF patch do it? I'm thinking, due to the circumstances, that one or both of our phones have a problem. Thoughts?