RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Shares on WHS 2011

Fast Charlie

Hi

I have finally taken the plunge and moved over to WHS2011 and was surprised to see the default shares have changed. I can't find anything online about this change. WHS 2011 sees the removal of the Users and Software shares and the creation of a new share called Documents. What happens to users home drives now? Should they be set up in the Documents share, and if so, is it now necessary to individually set up the permissions on the subfolders for each users home drive? I would have thought that the concept of a home drive was important for home server users. Maybe I'm missing something with this new Documents share and what its meant for.

Can anyone help or even direct me to something online which highlights the changes from v1 to v2 and talks about the changes to the shares and subsequently the behaviour of where users should now be keeping their home drives.

Thanks

Users is gone in 2011. They assumed nobody used it (Doh!). I created my own as User-myName, User-herName,... etc and set my own permissions.

Documents seems to be a rename of Public, as it went away in 2011 too.

Oh and my favorite "Photos" is now "Pictures" - lame, I prefer Photos.

Software is gone too, create your own and set permissions.

Two schools of thought. If you are using clients that never leave home, you can use the Libraries features in Windows 7 to make the WHS shares the default save to location for your data. Easily enough done in Win7 or Windows XP.

If you travel with a machine, you can keep data in both locations and use a program such as AllWay Sync to sync the data back and forth between the client and WHS.

The folders prebuilt into WHS...you can create your own and set permissions as you wish.

Thanks guys. Am shocked to hear about the home drives just being wiped. Couldn't find out anything about it online. Home drives is an essential part of corporations as well as home environments, having your files on the network available from any machine. Even if Libraries is supposed to replace it, you're still saving to a shared location on the WHS by default.

Public share - yes, was useful and i forgot about that. Might setup an 'All' folder in my new Users share for this from now on.

Pictures - I prefer this actually as its more encompassing than just Photos. It did mean i had to resetup my mediacenters to the new path(s)

Users - still can't believe it...

Laptop use with Libraries - you'd be better of just enabling the redirected home server folder with 'Always available Offline' from the client. I much prefer using native tools if possible. For my internet favorites I use a reg hack to redirect them to a folder in my "USERS" drive :) on the server, and then make that 'Always available Offline'.

Cheers for the responses!

Maybe the reason there's no Users share is because Microsoft couldn't get Homegroup working on WHS2011, but thought they add the feature anyway. Have just found out the truth about the fact that it doesn't work with WHS2011 so DONT turn it on. It automatically creates a share called Users, but in my case, as I already had one, it created one called Users2. Nice. It then adds the Homeusers group to all the shares with Read access. This means that the most restrictive permission wins and all other permissions on your shares are ignored as everyone now gets Read only. So, I then removed the WHS2011 from the Homegroup and rebooted, and where it used to say Homeusers on each share, there's now an unknown SID in its place so I'm currently in the process of manually removing it from all my shares. Have managed to now delete the Users2 share so I can continue to use my other Users share which I have manually had to add each user with their own permission on their own home drive.

Really disappointed to hear all this. Not a huge fan of Homegroups in the first place. No point using them really when you have a server and shares at the back end, but for MS to know about the issue in RC and let it go through to RTM is a bit disappointing.

Maybe the reason there's no Users share is because Microsoft couldn't get Homegroup working on WHS2011, but thought they add the feature anyway. Have just found out the truth about the fact that it doesn't work with WHS2011 so DONT turn it on. It automatically creates a share called Users, but in my case, as I already had one, it created one called Users2. Nice. It then adds the Homeusers group to all the shares with Read access. This means that the most restrictive permission wins and all other permissions on your shares are ignored as everyone now gets Read only. So, I then removed the WHS2011 from the Homegroup and rebooted, and where it used to say Homeusers on each share, there's now an unknown SID in its place so I'm currently in the process of manually removing it from all my shares. Have managed to now delete the Users2 share so I can continue to use my other Users share which I have manually had to add each user with their own permission on their own home drive.

Really disappointed to hear all this. Not a huge fan of Homegroups in the first place. No point using them really when you have a server and shares at the back end, but for MS to know about the issue in RC and let it go through to RTM is a bit disappointing.

Update to this - have lost access to all my shares via the web interface. May have to start again from scratch

Laptop use with Libraries - you'd be better of just enabling the redirected home server folder with 'Always available Offline' from the client. I much prefer using native tools if possible. For my internet favorites I use a reg hack to redirect them to a folder in my "USERS" drive :) on the server, and then make that 'Always available Offline'.

Cheers for the responses!

I use Windows Live Mesh to sync my favorites from machine to machine. It works very well and doesn't require a reg hack. Unfortunately it doesn't work for my RSS feeds though. When they changed it from Mesh to Live Mesh, they set it up so you couldn't sync hidden folders. This drives me nuts and I haven't found a solution for it. You have any idea's? Do you think the reg hack may work?

XMarks will sync those RSS feeds for you very nicely.

Thanks for the info. At first glance it doesn't indicate it will syn rss feeds but I see questions about it in their forums. I will have to give it a try.

I was so afraid the service was going away but LastPass acquired them a few months ago.