RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media streaming solution for Mac and PC environment

mebrenne

I have Mac and PC computers in my house and I'm looking a single media streaming solution for both of them. I'm talking about streaming music, videos and photos from outside the home as well as inside. Within my home network, I'm having trouble accessing my Mac with my PC and vise versa, so that kills the idea of peer-to-peer sharing. So I am thinking about going the server route and I'd would like to know your recommendations. Would Windows be better in the server department over Mac even with OSX Lion server about to be released this month?

As for my home network, are there any recommendations on how to properly set Windows and Mac so they can directly access each other? I have worked on this issue of months now and can't seem to set direct communications with each computer.

Using a WHS internally should allow you to share music, video, and photos within your network without and issue providing you have the required playback software to support all the formats you have. Accessing to outside is a different story. WHS will allow all Windows based PC's to access correctly, however, since Apple does not support silverlight, your Mac's will have an issue. There are third party solution such as Air Video, Stream to me, that work with both but you will have to look at them closely to make sure they suit your needs.

Using a WHS internally should allow you to share music, video, and photos within your network without and issue providing you have the required playback software to support all the formats you have. Accessing to outside is a different story. WHS will allow all Windows based PC's to access correctly, however, since Apple does not support silverlight, your Mac's will have an issue. There are third party solution such as Air Video, Stream to me, that work with both but you will have to look at them closely to make sure they suit your needs.

Thank you for your timely response. I actually found that when you type in the direct connect from the mac to the windows computer, that I can access that information. It takes time to unlock all folders you want shared on each computer but it's well worth it. I actually have formed two servers that work together.

Emmm... What? OS X has Silverlight support, otherwise how do you think Netflix works on a Mac?