RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2740

Highflow

Hi all, i am havy searching for information about the Highpoint RocketRaid 2740

to use the led headers active/error for each drive.

The manual dont say much more about it.

I messured the voltage on each pin on the PCB but all of them are give 3,25 volt , both the active and error pin`s .

This is weird because i only use 4 ports yet and the y all working just fine , managment dont give any error.

What the trick to be able to put leds on that card and get it work for active and error ?

hope someone can give the solution for this, it would be just super to control all the port status on the chassis.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Highflow

Top Posters In This Topic

The card is designed for a 3.3V output on both the activity and error. To the best of my knowledge, both should work if you run the positive (Vcc) to the A1-A4 block for each of the four channels and a separate LED to the F1-F4 of each channel with one of the pins connected to ground. As I understand it, it each channel has to have both if you want to monitor both. Although I have not hooked mine up yet, I bought 16 LED's 8 of one color and 8 of another to cover both.

I know nothing about this card but typically you need a current limit resistor with an LED (unless the LED has one built in).

I know nothing about this card but typically you need a current limit resistor with an LED (unless the LED has one built in).

Thanks m8`s, its exactly what i thought, connect 16 leds for actieve and 16 leds for fail

totally it has 32 pins , and get the grounding form case or black wire somewhere.

I will do a test soon with some leds and resistors to limit the current anyway, as i dont know how much the controller can handle.

The cheap 20Ma leds should be fine i guess.

They sell an LED with a resistor already inline which makes it easier to setup. Also, I would consider using the ground pin on the board instead on the case.

have done a test and they work -)

i did messure 3,25 volt on the pins because when no data is going the led is glow , when there is data busy the led will blink on and off

now need to order some leds , i maybe try 5x5 mm leds and glue them together and make one big part of 32 leds -)

then i need to cut one big hole of 40 x 20 mm and glue them in a plastic plate on to the frontpanel to cover the hole.

I did a try to see what Highpoint had to say about the led pins on the card and possible a cable for it,

they keep it all secret as i was expected.

==> Dear Sir or Madam,

Sorry for the inconvenience,our product only provide the leds pins not cables,you need to consult the reseller.

Here is the link for the manual,maybe it will give you some help

<==

nice job Highpoint :blink:

found a way to get the leds working normal as any other hdd activity leds ,

found out that the led pins on the 2740 gives negative output ,

so need to connect the leds "common" to a positive power , i thought the SDA pin on the controller

it works with that one but i dont think its an good idea as it could reach more power than the pin could handle.

Test now with all leds connected to the +5volt of the powersupply directly and use resistors of 160 ohm ~ and that works very well , leds blink as there comes activity and the leds are bright as it should be.

Hope that others are helped out with this info too, as i guess this is related to more raidcontrollers than the 2740

any comment welcome !

[+]--------------------[====]-----------|>]--------------------<

5volt(from PSU) - resistor - led - led outputpin

Edited by Highflow

The SDA pin in J1 is used for I2C (serial) communication. It is not a power source.

So the pins on the card are logic low. With the way you have hooked it up, power supply --> led --> resistor --> pin, the LED is off when the voltage on the pin is high. The problem I think you may see is the LED never will turn completely off.

The principle is very simple. Your power supply voltage you connected to the LED should be the same voltage as the pin when the pin logic is high so there is no current flow. You mentioned in your first post that the pin voltage is 3.25VDC. Now depending on how you measured this it may or may not be 3.25V. If you used a handheld DMM and the voltage on the pin was switching between low and high very fast (to make a LED flicker) then the DMM would have averaged the voltage. To get the actual voltage reading you would need to use an oscilloscope. If you actually have 5VDC supply and a 3.25V pin (or 3.5V) then there would always be current flow. The led will still go from bright to dim but the dim will never be "off" due to the voltage difference.

It would be good if someone could either confirm the voltage levels of these pins or put a scope on it to confirm they are switching between 0 and 5VDC. This would insure that no one wires something wrong and damages their PC and the contents of this post are correct for the next guy who wants to try this.

The card is designed for a 3.3V output on both the activity and error. To the best of my knowledge, both should work if you run the positive (Vcc) to the A1-A4 block for each of the four channels and a separate LED to the F1-F4 of each channel with one of the pins connected to ground. As I understand it, it each channel has to have both if you want to monitor both. Although I have not hooked mine up yet, I bought 16 LED's 8 of one color and 8 of another to cover both.

Wow, this is a great thread. I know little about electronics like this so I'm learning a lot :)

PCdoc, is this card actually designed on purpose to allow users to hook front panel LEDs to it? That's what I'm getting from you description.