RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup Questions

KiwiGlen

Hi,

I'm looking at options for backing up my server. I've got the data disks mirrored using windows mirroring (2x2TB mirrors) on the OS drive (1TB) I also have the client backups (about 470GB). I'm happy that my server is protected from a drive failure. If I lose the OS drive I can re-install WHS2011 and I just lose the client backups (no real problem I still have the clients).

But I'm after some method of off-site backup. I've got KeepVault on the server backing up my Photo's and Videos (going to add documents soon as well). But I want a method of backing up the rest of the server.

My server is in the basement so I would like a method where I can do the backups from my main PC.

I'm planning to setup a system where I backup the folders on the server to an external esata drive on my main PC using Robocopy and taking that off-site. I'll have two sets of disks, one will always be off-site and I'll just keep swapping them. This looks like it will work fairly well. I'm just in the process of setting that up now.

But I have one problem and I'm not sure how to solve it. How do I backups the Client Backups? I've changed the Client Computer Backups folder to be shared so I can access it from my PC, but it looks like the Client Backup updates every file so I end up backing-up 470GB each time which takes awhile, but not a big problem. Also can you just backup that folder like this? If I re-installed WHS2011 on my server and copied that folder back would the server see all the backups? Could I restore clients from it? Has anybody tried doing this?

I'm trying to avoid building a test server and trying it out but if nobody has tried this I'll give it a go.

Also does anybody else have any ideas for doing off-site backups? I'm in New Zealand and we have data caps on our broadband so using the cloud isn't really an option, I only get 40GB a month.

Cheers

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

I think your plan using RoboCopy is what most others are doing (assuming you have more than 2TB of data) and is about as good a plan available right now.

Unfortunately I can't help you on backing up the backups as I haven't tried that yet.

You can map a drive to the parent folder which will be a hidden share ($) and from there you should be able to get to the backup folder.

\\servername\f$\client computer backups (where F is the lettered name of the drive of the folder location - your drive letter may change but leave the $ in place)

Sorry, I'm late to the party here. I'm almost certainly misunderstanding the issue here, but I don't quite see the problem. The question seems to be: "how to backup the Client backups?".

Given that the Client backups come in at 470GB, and that other server data is being handled via Robocopy for off-site copies; then why can't you use the built-in Server Backup function to handle the Client backups?

I use the server backup function for the server system and the client backups folder. In my case, I see that a full backup of my data is about 600GB, with about 200GB extra being used to hold the deltas between the twice daily backups. There are currently around 30 timestamped backups being held on each backup drive (I have two 1TB drives that I rotate on a daily basis).

I don't need to control the server backup from a client PC. Because it's scheduled to run at the default times of 12:00 and 23:00, I just step into the room where the server is situated outside of these hours and rotate the backup drive with the off-site storage drive.

Sorry, I'm late to the party here. I'm almost certainly misunderstanding the issue here, but I don't quite see the problem. The question seems to be: "how to backup the Client backups?".

Given that the Client backups come in at 470GB, and that other server data is being handled via Robocopy for off-site copies; then why can't you use the built-in Server Backup function to handle the Client backups?

I use the server backup function for the server system and the client backups folder. In my case, I see that a full backup of my data is about 600GB, with about 200GB extra being used to hold the deltas between the twice daily backups. There are currently around 30 timestamped backups being held on each backup drive (I have two 1TB drives that I rotate on a daily basis).

I don't need to control the server backup from a client PC. Because it's scheduled to run at the default times of 12:00 and 23:00, I just step into the room where the server is situated outside of these hours and rotate the backup drive with the off-site storage drive.

Yes, that would be fine except he doesn't want to go to the basement where the server is. He would like to do it from another PC over the LAN.

Yes, that would be fine except he doesn't want to go to the basement where the server is. He would like to do it from another PC over the LAN.

Ah, OK, got it. Me, I like a little daily exercise...