RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver

StanHD

Well at last I am thinking of moving on up to WHS 2011.

The deal on the HP Microserver (extended again!) is almost too good to ignore. In the UK we can get it for GBP 140.00 (after GBP 100.00 cash back) I think that's around USD 225.00

For that you get a nice base unit with 1Gb RAM, 1 x 250Gb HDD, and hardware raid. I have already set one up for a friend's small business with SBS 2011 Essentials using Raid 1 on the first pair of drives for the OS, and Raid 1 on the second pair for the Data store. It's really quite impressive.

My plan would to be to remove the 250Gb HDD and use it elsewhere, replacing with 4 x 2 Tb drives in Raid 1 pairs giving nominal 4Tb of storage. I would also add another 1Gb of RAM

For the OS I was wondering if I could install an Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S with say 2 x 250Gb 2.5" drives in Raid 1. This would be mounted in the 5.25" bay where an optical drive would normally be installed. Can anyone advise if this would work in this scenario on this platform?

Thanks for any advice.

Up in that bay it should work, I don't think that the connectors are fixed in place up there like they are in the 3.5" drive bays. Other than trying to avoid the 2TB limit issues, why are you putting the other drives in 2 RAID 1 arrays? That's going to waste a fair amount of space that you could otherwise have available for storage.

Up in that bay it should work, I don't think that the connectors are fixed in place up there like they are in the 3.5" drive bays. Other than trying to avoid the 2TB limit issues, why are you putting the other drives in 2 RAID 1 arrays? That's going to waste a fair amount of space that you could otherwise have available for storage.

My thinking was to use the available Raid 1. (I think 0 & 1 are the only options available on this kit). However, happy to take any advice. Any suggestions that will give hardware failure (Disk) protection to my data happily considered. Thanks for the advice on the Icy Dock idea. On the SBS Essentials machine I installed an optical drive and used a standard Sata cable down onto the MB and power was already available from the PSU.

My thinking was to use the available Raid 1. (I think 0 & 1 are the only options available on this kit). However, happy to take any advice. Any suggestions that will give hardware failure (Disk) protection to my data happily considered. Thanks for the advice on the Icy Dock idea. On the SBS Essentials machine I installed an optical drive and used a standard Sata cable down onto the MB and power was already available from the PSU.

My thought would be use the RAID 5 functionality built into Windows. The onboard RAID is still software RAID and uses the processor to perform the calculations for either parity or data mirroring. I don't think that leaves much difference performance-wise between using the hardware or software to perform RAID. RAID 1 drives can usually be pulled and put into another computer since the drives are an exact replica of each other. When using the RAID functions built into Windows Server, you can usually remove the drives and put them in another box and access the same RAID array again. I haven't tested it at all, but my experience has been with other onboard RAID chips is that they can't always rebuild the array. I should probably try this out sometime to see what the box is and isn't capable of.

• 1 month later...